Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Falmouth to Morbihan - stop off suggestions please.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    Very opportune, where on Houat? I am in Port Haliguen at the moment and had planned to go to anchor at Treach er Goured on the east side of Houat. However, while my out of date Cumberlidge guide states that it is an anchorage, my up to date Navionics, Garmin charts and my latest Bloc Marine state that is is a prohibited anchorage due to submarine cables. Do you know any different?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Ignore. Everybody anchors there.
    Exactly so. Many years ago we had the same confusion. We’ve anchored there many times since; frequently with a hundred other boats. (It’s a big bay so not crowded)
    Semper aliud

Thanks all, thought as much, I'll be there tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    Very opportune, where on Houat? I am in Port Haliguen at the moment and had planned to go to anchor at Treach er Goured on the east side of Houat. However, while my out of date Cumberlidge guide states that it is an anchorage, my up to date Navionics, Garmin charts and my latest Bloc Marine state that is is a prohibited anchorage due to submarine cables. Do you know any different?
    500 French yotties might disagree, but we have seen and assisted one with anchor hooked on a cable. We knew where to avoid same but thereafter did use a trip line when anchored there just in case, never had to use it in anger.

BTW get a copy of the French 'Pilotes Cotieres' easy to understand with charts and pictures and all anchorages are there of which Houat has many. Isuspect Peter Cumberlidge obtained much of his local knowledge from these pilotes.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Houat also has nice anchorages at the other end in case of easterlies.

Thanks all, and especially Sybarite. Some great ideas to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by TSB240 View Post
    Only the foolish do if the vent solaire is forecast.
    I had read about this, and as we had just bought a new boat, and had a great fortress anchor on a weighted cable as a kedge, I decided to lay it. Just in Case. At ~2 am all hell was breaking loose in the anchorage! Boats being moved etc etc. We were about 20ft from some nasty stuff, but the fortress was doing its job well. I would not have used my Bower for this as I want to make sure we rode to the tide the rest of the time, and it would have been in too shallow water on some little outcrop. With care it is lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
    I had read about this, and as we had just bought a new boat, and had a great fortress anchor on a weighted cable as a kedge, I decided to lay it. Just in Case. At ~2 am all hell was breaking loose in the anchorage! Boats being moved etc etc. We were about 20ft from some nasty stuff, but the fortress was doing its job well. I would not have used my Bower for this as I want to make sure we rode to the tide the rest of the time, and it would have been in too shallow water on some little outcrop. With care it is lovely
    The trick with Houat is to move to the 'other beach on the Belle Isle side of the island when a vent solaire is expected, mass exodus of locals usually around 7pm is a good clue
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    The trick with Houat is to move to the 'other beach on the Belle Isle side of the island when a vent solaire is expected, mass exodus of locals usually around 7pm is a good clue
    It is an experience.
    We followed the locals as you suggested into Treach Salus with loads of warning on VHF about Vent Solaire. Salus offers some protection if the wind builds from the east.
    We were in a small lift keel boat which allowed us to get right in to the beach in less than a metre of water. Laid a Bahamian moor onto hard sand with our ancient CQR and a tiny Danforth and waited. Just after dark the thunder and lightning and hail started. The wind went from next to nothing to way more than I liked!
    Of the 150 boats that were anchored probably 50 dragged out to sea. Finding hard sand there is very difficult. Local boats know there are deep layers of soft sand for which a Fortress is the best for holding. Retrieving the Danforth was a lot harder than the CQR!
    Now Sailing Bluenote II Hanse 301 based Y Felinheli Dock.

Quote Originally Posted by TSB240 View Post
    It is an experience.
    We followed the locals as you suggested into Treach Salus with loads of warning on VHF about Vent Solaire. Salus offers some protection if the wind builds from the east.
    We were in a small lift keel boat which allowed us to get right in to the beach in less than a metre of water. Laid a Bahamian moor onto hard sand with our ancient CQR and a tiny Danforth and waited. Just after dark the thunder and lightning and hail started. The wind went from next to nothing to way more than I liked!
    Of the 150 boats that were anchored probably 50 dragged out to sea. Finding hard sand there is very difficult. Local boats know there are deep layers of soft sand for which a Fortress is the best for holding. Retrieving the Danforth was a lot harder than the CQR!
    Our preferred approach in the main anchorage was to anchor close to 'Er Y'och' rock preferably with no boat between us and it that would then be upwind of us with an unexpected vent solaire. In over 20 years of it being one of my most favourite places we never dragged once but watched lots of others do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post

Our favourite restaurants :

• Le Croquervol : 3 rue Alfred Le Ray just opposite the marina.
    • La Coquille : In the inner harbour on the right bank. The owner is the former chef of the Tour d’Argent at Paris, one of Paris’ best restaurants.
    • L'Auberge St Laurent on the road between Concarneau and Port La Forêt
    * Restaurant de l'Hôtel des Sables Blancs around the corniche at Concarneau
    * L'Amiral - just opposite the entrance to la Ville Close
    * Le Pass'port - la pointe de Trévignon
    By common accord with our guests we are now dropping "* Restaurant de l'Hôtel des Sables Blancs around the corniche at Concarneau" from these recommendations. Both the quality of the food and the service have not lived up to early expectations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12