Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ryde harbour

Default Re: Ryde harbour

Quote Originally Posted by Giblets View Post
    As I have said before on here, Andy, the call could have been taken by the guys in Aberdeen who would not have a scooby where Ryde Harbour hence the request for lat & long.
    Which is, of course, what happens when the bean counters run emergency services. If I haven't got my GPS working, I haven't got a scooby of the lat and long of Ryde Harbour either. "Err, 50 degrees err, something north 1 degree, err, something West." Yes, I could look it up on a chart but, TBH, if I'm sending a mayday, it isn't because I've run out of diesel, so I'm probably a bit busy for that.

If it isn't me sending the mayday, but I'm pottering around the Solent, I know where Ryde harbour is and whether I'm close enough to be any use. I'm not good enough at spherical trigonometry to know whether a lat/long is 10 minutes away or half a day.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

One of our club members posted this a couple of weeks ago:

Ryde Sand Bar
    Most Members will be aware of the extent of Ryde Sands. Over the passage of two years or so however, a significant sand bar has formed about 50m or so offshore of the marked channel to Ryde Harbour. A walk out at low water last week, I reckon the bar is about 0.5m higher than the adjacent sands around it. The high ground is clearly shown with lighter colour. The bar now extends about 100m west of the marked channel. Boats of 0.9m draught are almost certain to ground on high water neaps even in calm conditions.
    Members contemplating visiting Ryde Harbour (high water access only possible, drying sands and harbour) should pass the No.1 stbd marker perhaps 150m north of it and continue west a further 150m before turning for the entrance directly, thereafter. The area to the west of the marked channel tends to be kept clear by the frequent traffic of the hovercrafts and their wash.

Ryde_Sand_Bar_Viewed_from_Shore_at_LW.jpgRyde_Sand_Bar_Offshore_of_Entrance_to_Ryde_Buoyed_Channel_at_LW.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sgr143 View Post
    We're thinking of overnighting there this Friday (20th). Osprey is a bilge-keeler drawing 0.9m, so we should be fine going in an hour or so before HW (i.e. about 17.30), but it's my first go at a drying harbour so any hints or tips would be appreciated! I gather the fire-damaged pontoon has now been sorted out?
    Thanks, Steve
    You should have great fun there this weekend, although I suspect it will be very busy.
    https://www.iwpride.org/
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew, password Bristol.

A successful and enjoyable visit. Thanks all for the various hints and tips - we approached from about 200m to the west of the channel initially, as recommended, joining the channel between the 2nd pair of buoys, and had no problems. Reassuringly, a bigger boat was coming out as we were coming in - "What draught are you "?" "Four feet"... good, more than us! Glad we went in at HW-2 and not later: we were on of the first in, and so had a good pick of where to come alongside "A" pontoon. After we grounded, I found it a bit weird being in a harbour but the boat not moving under me as I walked about. They were setting up for Ryde Pride weekend - it looked like it was going to get pretty loud and busy tonight!
    Steve
    Last edited by sgr143; 21-07-18 at 14:48.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12