Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vYacht NMEA

Default Re: vYacht NMEA

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    With Opencpn only reading NMEA0183 then a load of NMEA2000 messages will be missing as not all have equivalents in NMEA0183 .

Does the Vyacht just put out NMEA0183 over wifi? Or does it do signalk as well? Never played with one.

PS - quick look at the manual had a screenshot of a tablet showing just NMEA0183 messages, if so then you'll not see various nmea2000 messages, no way to send them. Odd that engine hours are coming through though unless it sends some messages of its own design?
    vYacht does put out SignalK as well
    I think it shows both NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 as SignalK and outputs NMEA0183 over Wifi.
    Isn't it possible to put out engine hours as NMEA0183?

Quote Originally Posted by JeronimoMan View Post
    vYacht does put out SignalK as well
    I think it shows both NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 as SignalK and outputs NMEA0183 over Wifi.
    Isn't it possible to put out engine hours as NMEA0183?
    Think RPM is the only engine data which NMEA0183 can cope with, but been wrong before....
    http://www.catb.org/gpsd/NMEA.html#_rpm_revolutions

Guessing the vYacht signalk is a bit ancient and doesn't look like this...

It can create nmea0183 from signalk but the the app I looked at was fixed, might be something which could map engine hours to a XDR sentence but then what other progs could actually do anything with it...

I know I keep banging on about openplotter on a Pi at any opportunity, but it really does make all this so much easier to get at, total cost prob less than the vYacht but you'd need a canbus/usb to get at the nmea2000, 'bout 50 quid.

If everyone joins in with signalk then all this would be so much easier......

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Think RPM is the only engine data which NMEA0183 can cope with, but been wrong before....
    http://www.catb.org/gpsd/NMEA.html#_rpm_revolutions

Guessing the vYacht signalk is a bit ancient and doesn't look like this...

It can create nmea0183 from signalk but the the app I looked at was fixed, might be something which could map engine hours to a XDR sentence but then what other progs could actually do anything with it...

I know I keep banging on about openplotter on a Pi at any opportunity, but it really does make all this so much easier to get at, total cost prob less than the vYacht but you'd need a canbus/usb to get at the nmea2000, 'bout 50 quid.

If everyone joins in with signalk then all this would be so much easier......
    In the end I took a bit of time to write my own app and read what is actually transmits, and yes its NMEA0183 is pretty basic.
    However it's SignalK screen is not too bad, with gauges and all.
    Seems it basically reads much more sentences that it actually transmits, due to the limitations of the NMEA0183 apparently, but does output more data on its SignalK browser thing.
    The question is now, is its Signal K tweakable being open source and all?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12