Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Pot-non-markers today

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I've never actually seen who is responsible for laying mines around our shores but this morning I passed this handsome chap at a well-known trouble-spot. I was hoping that he didn't see me photographing him since he would probably have out-gunned me. I think that Colne Clipper was passing the other way, so no doubt he would have come to my rescue.

Yes we passed that pot layer as he was going back toward Harwich the smell from the boat was interestingly, high. The pots that we dodged looked like they had been down for a while, we then came across a single pot with a marker of HH107 on a sticker! We were on high alert as we had picked up a large pot 5 miles west of long sand head whilst doing the Wivenhoe Ostende Rally 10 days ago. We thought that we had cut the buoy free but it was not until we arrived in Ostende that a wind farm boat pointed out that we towing something!!! ( see pic) Royal Ostend kindly put a diver down for us to take the pot off and check for damage, all at no charge. on the day that you spotted us we had just come back from Holland to Shotley, then Shotley to Brightingsea, and yes we would have helped if you had picked up a pot, we had quite an education in cutting our pot off in 2 meter seas and a stiff breeze!
    Attached Images Attached Images

dunno why my pic came in upside down!!!

We saw the same pots last Saturday, two pairs and a single (as if one had already caught a yacht). Really poor job on the fisherman’s part.

I've seen him a couple of times over the years, more usually between Frinton and Walton. Definitely didn't like the look of what he was doing.
    Can this all be raised locally with someone?
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12