Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spray hoods

Default Re: Spray hoods

We sailed from 1971 in a succession of boats, Cirrus, Mystere and Sadler29 without sprayhoods because I, like the OP, considered them unaesthetic and effete. We sailed everywhere from the Channel Isles to Denmark quite happily, until I became senile and bought a Hallberg-Rassy. I have to admit that a proper glass screen (that you can see through) and hood make things a lot more comfortable. I would be prepared to put up with not having a sprayhood if I could have my youth back.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Another big fan of them but will admit to sitting the side deck so that I can see past them if the weather is good.

My only gripe is the lack of shelter when sailing downwind in the rain. Our last boat had a full cockpit enclosure with zip up sides and rear so could have all those panels out to preserve visibility and stay out of the gloom!

Impractical though and ugly. One neat solution I saw in a marina was the usual sprayhood but coming fairly far back then a clear plastic flap that could be rolled up when not needed but when bad weather struck could be unrolled and I presume held down by bungee or something similar to the rear of the sprayhood thereby creating a sort of poor mans wheelhouse where the on watch crew could hide from the rain.

We have a dodger that goes round the entire cockpit. Ideal for keeping out if the weather from any angle. On passage we steer using the autohelm and navigation is done down at the nav table.

One significant advantage with the all round dodger is privacy at anchor should you wish to sunbath au natural.

They have a very different "user experience" depending on the boat and the sprayhood. On my old tiller steered Sabre 27 it was quite tall compared to the size of the cockpit, but enabled me to steer with just my head poking out of the side if needed. I didn't really need to wear my foulie jacket (softshell was fine) as I was not really exposed and could duck behind the sprayhood if a big wave was coming.

No such luck in my wheel steered B32...if a big one is going to spray into the cockpit I'm going to get wet. However the vision through and over the sprayhood is much, much better. I'd also say on a smaller boat, they give you a lot more usable "dry" space below in rain, where having the hatch shut might compromise headroom. Less of an issue in a bigger boat.

Aesthetics wise, I actually quite like them as long as the hood is a nice design (there are some howlers out there), and as has been pointed out, at anchor or on a swinging mooring they are fab in terms of a wind break.
    Last edited by Iain C; 19-07-18 at 07:29.
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234