Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: EA is failing in its responsobilities regarding lock starcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dipper View Post
    I have just had an accident at a lock of which I do not want to identify as the keeper took my details and was very professional in dealing with my complaint and I thank him for his attention. The accident was not caused by him but the failings of EA.

I was passing through the lock after hours and as I descended a slimy staircase with an equally slimy handrail I slipped, flat on my back and ended up with slime all over my clothes and a nasty cut on my elbow. Should any infection ensue I will be putting in the hands of my solicitor and I am sure she will have a field day with this one!

In the conversation with the lock keeper he suggested I should have been wearing boating shoes. Rubbish! No doubt it was what he was told to say.

HEALTH AND SAFETY! Staircases should not be allowed to be slippery and that goes for handrails.

I am retired now but where I used to work HSE would have thrown the book at EA's attitude to safety.

Whilst I understand that the cleaning of lock walls had an environmentally downside, the safety aspect of lock staircases should not be ignored.

I intend to write to EA in the near future with regards to this subject and I would urge anybody else to do so.
    Bearing in mind that you were descending a known 'Slimey' staircase, did you carry out and record a risk assessment of the hazard? No? Well tough luck FFS.

Default Sheppey Mud.

Shortly before the dinosaurs became extinct was in bit of hurry to moor a boat on a tidal mud mooring .
    Essentially, get it right first time or 12 mile trudge elsewhere or 4 hour wait for water.
    Boat drawing 3 ft was being persuaded to moor in about 2.5 ft of water.
    Managed to get the bow in and pick up forward bouy rope.
    Somewhere on the scramble aft to secure stern line, took a slow motion tumble over the side.
    Was expecting a bracing dip, actually got a very aromatic mud bath.
    No change of clothes aboard, so a long row back to shore, followed by a very squelchy drive home.
    Spent following day cleaning boat,dinghy and car but not probably in that order.

Anybody better that ?

Default Re: Sheppey Mud.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Shortly before the dinosaurs became extinct was in bit of hurry to moor a boat on a tidal mud mooring .
    Essentially, get it right first time or 12 mile trudge elsewhere or 4 hour wait for water.
    Boat drawing 3 ft was being persuaded to moor in about 2.5 ft of water.
    Managed to get the bow in and pick up forward bouy rope.
    Somewhere on the scramble aft to secure stern line, took a slow motion tumble over the side.
    Was expecting a bracing dip, actually got a very aromatic mud bath.
    No change of clothes aboard, so a long row back to shore, followed by a very squelchy drive home.
    Spent following day cleaning boat,dinghy and car but not probably in that order.

Anybody better that ?
    Would be interested to know how you managed to get back on board or reach other safety.
    My limited but scary experience of man overboard was the stark realisation of just how difficult it is to recover someone. Man overboard exercises with a fender or whatever do nothing to prepare you for recovering the deadweight of a human adult body even with a competent crew
    Thames Motor Boater - Proud to Pay and Display - helping fund river. Join TMBA.

I certainly can't better your story, but I did make the mistake of answering a text while walking back to my boat on a freezing cold January evening, only to walk straight off the end of the pontoon and head first into the Thames. No change of clothes, so a drive home wearing nothing but wet underpants.

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    Would be interested to know how you managed to get back on board or reach other safety.
    My limited but scary experience of man overboard was the stark realisation of just how difficult it is to recover someone. Man overboard exercises with a fender or whatever do nothing to prepare you for recovering the deadweight of a human adult body even with a competent crew
    I came across a guy in the Solent once, clinging to the last of his boat's bow as it dipped below the water. We got hold of him off the bathing platform, there were two of us onboard, but simply could not bring him onboard. He was a big fella, had no lifejacket and only sloppy jogging bottoms and t shirt, so nothing substantial to get hold of. In the end I had to drag him to the bathing ladder and lower it so he could climb out himself. Had he been too weak, or even unconscious, we would never have got him out of the water. A sobering lesson for me having done many a "man overboard" excersise on RYA course using a fender.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    a slow slurpy walk in 18" of sludgy mud helpfully lubricated by 6" of muddy Medway while clinging onto fenders, round to back of boat and the swim platform !
    Due to hole created by hull in mudberth, platform close to surface ladder easily lowered..

Next question!

Having refreshed myself in some dozen pubs in Dartmouth one evening, I dropped my wallet in the boatfloat at low tide. I scrambled down the iron ladder and retrieved said wallet but being overly refreshed and now covered in silt, I could get back up the ladder. So I crawled across to the slipway and got out. Later I fell asleep in on a bench in Coronation Park then awoke at dawn and returned to my cabin, minging, caked in dry foul mud.
    When I was in the Navy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    caked in dry foul mud.
    Some ladies of leisure pay good money for that particular beauty treatment ...

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Some ladies of leisure pay good money for that particular beauty treatment ...

Most ladies prefer a Pearl necklace

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    Having refreshed myself in some dozen pubs in Dartmouth one evening, I dropped my wallet in the boatfloat at low tide. I scrambled down the iron ladder and retrieved said wallet but being overly refreshed and now covered in silt, I could get back up the ladder. So I crawled across to the slipway and got out. Later I fell asleep in on a bench in Coronation Park then awoke at dawn and returned to my cabin, minging, caked in dry foul mud.
    A normal night for you then Look on the bright side, it's easier to get rid of dry mud (earth?) than wet mushy stuff.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123