Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Welding a leaky diesel fuel tank

The problem is with a new patch that has been welded in and seems to come from corrosion on the outside caused by leaking diesel (from a dodgy fitting) running down the weld. My man in the wilds of Argyll reckons he can cut out and patch the affected weld. I will then etch-prime any bare aluminium and apply several coats of some sort of wonderpaint.

Hopefully by the time it goes again I will be able to contemplate having a tank made.

- W

Regardless of which welding technique is used the thing has to be washed out & purged first, The risk of explosion is very high, & if the metal is at all porous will still sweat diesel fumes. I well remember being asked to weld a large silencer up at a boatyard in Old leigh, the heat from the torch caused the old oil inside to gas off, thick white smoke started gushing from the end, i stepped back & the thing took a mighty toke of air inwards. This was followed by a large explosion that burst the seam on the silencer & rendered me deaf for some time. Fuel tanks will do this as well & can cause serious injury or worse. Probably explains why many people dont like repairing them!

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    You forgot to say - did it work medium/long term?

- W

Certainly lasted for the next year or two when the evil heap money pit was eventually sold on to couple of blokes from Essex, when I finally lost patience and confidence in the two "Black Anchors" (Mercruiser outdrives) hanging off the back of the boat .
    Think the two blokes then started UKIP to get their revenge on the world.
    Last edited by oldgit; 19-07-18 at 19:36.

Have a look at POR 15, you'll have to decide for yourself if you think its good for ally. I've used it successfully on a stainless fuel tank with a leaky weld and its lasted 4 years so far, mainly because the tank wasnt easily removable - since yours is out it may be easier to apply.
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234