Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Channel Island 22 Forward is reverse on stbd engine

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    The direction of push or pull of the cable on putting gear lever fwd or astern can be chosen at the control end.
    Thank you John.

So the prop on the starboard engine could be configured to provide forward thrust when the engine is going astern, and the starboard engine needs to have the morse cable set up to work in the opposite fashion ? Am I getting warm?

If so, can someone point me at a diagram/explanation on how to reverse the direction a morse operates in?

- W

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post

If so, can someone point me at a diagram/explanation on how to reverse the direction a morse operates in?
    You should be able to find the Morse MT3 manual online as a PDF download and this shows how to do it.

(I'm not clear from the rest of the thread what is going on).

Just read the thread again, suspect the new morse cable has been fitted wrong at the control lever.

I just looked in my files, I have the Morse manual that shows how to do it as a pdf, send me an email address and I'll whizz it over to you.

Its not tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    There's a flat metal bar that runs across the main body of the thing, with holes at each end. When you move the main lever into forward gear, one end of the bar goes up and the other goes down. When it's in neutral the bar is horizontal, move into reverse and it goes up and down the other way. The gear cable connects to one end of this bar.

To reverse the direction of the cable, you need to move it to the other side of the control, connected to the other end of the bar, so that it moves up instead of down and vice versa. The control is designed to accept the cable at either end.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    There's a flat metal bar that runs across the main body of the thing, with holes at each end. When you move the main lever into forward gear, one end of the bar goes up and the other goes down. When it's in neutral the bar is horizontal, move into reverse and it goes up and down the other way. The gear cable connects to one end of this bar.

To reverse the direction of the cable, you need to move it to the other side of the control, connected to the other end of the bar, so that it moves up instead of down and vice versa. The control is designed to accept the cable at either end.

Pete
    That's not exactly right. The metal plate you refer to only has a hole in one end, to switch the gear shift between push and pull you removed the plate and turn it round, then connect the cable.

I've sent Webcraft the manual via email,

Maybe it’s like the Apple Magic Mouse where scrolling is in the ‘natural’ direction. 👍

Thanks everyone, esp. Burgundy Ben for the manual. Will report back in due course.

- W

Disconnect the the control from its mount and split it
    Move gear cable to be mirror image of correct half
    Note that it common for there to be more travel in forward than reverse

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    That's not exactly right. The metal plate you refer to only has a hole in one end, to switch the gear shift between push and pull you removed the plate and turn it round, then connect the cable.
    Fair enough, depends on the model. I don't know what would be fitted to a Channel Island 22.

Pete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12