Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Default Re: What is the safe way to use a bosunís chair on a mast with a single part halyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    NO, NO, NO, NO.

Take advice from those who think!
    Try hand winching someone up a 35m mast........

Default Re: What is the safe way to use a bosunís chair on a mast with a single part halyard?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Our boat had a 2:1 mainsail halyard, presumably because it's a large heavily-roached sail with full width heavy battens. The problem with such an arrangement is that a change of halyard means a climb to the very top of the mast where the halyard is tied off.

When I decided to change it because I could see some fraying I changed it to a 1:1 halyard and dispensed with the block on the sail and, of course, the knot at the mast head.

The sail is plenty easy enough to pull up using the winch for the top third and changing the halyard again would now be simple. Perhaps boat builders should put a little more thought into designing things such that mast climbs are eliminated wherever possible.

Richard
    We have the same system for our main and for the screacher (Code Zero). Both are 2: 1 halyards - and as far as I can make out fairly common on cats. The 2:1 for the screecher is, I believe, to allow control of tension - as there is no stay.

We changed the main halyard for the same reason, fraying at the knot at the masthead. Our screecher halyard is a dyneema of a high torque construction.

I don't find either an issue - but I don't mind mast work.

Jonathan

Edit - and I concur with the Captain, though not because of a 35m mast. Many crew, often the skipper, are not gorillas nor have felt the need to join a gym - and hauling meat up a mast was never in the original job description. The alternative to the powered winch is - not going up the mast - and to us that would not be an option. The answer is feeling comfortable with the equipment and that's about practice and knowing the risk and dangers.

2nd Edit - the cycle helmet (better climbers or skier helmet, was for the person up the mast. The idea the deck operator would stand at the mast foot waiting to catch an errant screwdriver never occurred to me. I need to think a bit more!
    Last edited by Neeves; 22-07-18 at 09:44.

NO, NO, NO, NO.

Take advice from those who think!
    I meant my mainsail

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Try hand winching someone up a 35m mast........
    But with the right kit you don't need to. My wife takes 20, minutes to winch me up my 42' mast. Even with three stops, she is exhausted. With "the right bit of kit"() she does nothing save take up the slack on the winch. I have done five round trips in an afternoon and neither of us were exhausted.

Do I need to spell it out! My latest customer in the Canaries has an 80' mast!
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Graham the , I rather be naked in your signature , does that mean you go up naked , and if so , do you have an hard hat for your B@lls ?
    Er No! There's a limit to my enthusiasm, but with the fall arrest harness an embracing chair and tool bag, nobody would know!

I also wear had soled shoes.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

But with the right kit you don't need to. My wife takes 20, minutes to winch me up my 42' mast. Even with three stops, she is exhausted. With "the right bit of kit"() she does nothing save take up the slack on the winch. I have done five round trips in an afternoon and neither of us were exhausted.

Do I need to spell it out! My latest customer in the Canaries has an 80' mast!
    With easily used hydraulic winches it took us five minutes to wind a strapping South African crewman up over 110 feet skywards in mid Atlantic and my starboard index finger barely felt tired at all.

Using machinery to hoist bodies up masts is very safe provided its done properly and with.....thought.

Er No! There's a limit to my enthusiasm, but with the fall arrest harness an embracing chair and tool bag, nobody would know!

I also wear had soled shoes.
    Good to know Graham , see a man dangling from the mast is one thing , see something else dangling can be off putting
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    see something else dangling can be off putting
    It's an age thing.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678