Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sadler 32 groaning toilet bulkhead

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    What did the yard attach the bar to? And what dimensions?
    I'm sorry I don't know precisely. As far as I can recall of the teak trim, the bar length is the width of the door frame and the trim is between 1 and 2cm deep, so that gives some idea of the maximum depth of the bar. As to its precise attachment to the deckhead, as the main purpose is to spread the load underneath the stay attachment point I don't imagine that that is a particularly crucial issue.

I was reinforcing (sic!) William’s point about considering better support for the babystay attachment point from below. Whether what was done for us would answer the OP’s case (his movement being apparently to one side) or your own I do not of course know - I think our movement was very slight. One other approach I read of at the time (on the Sadler technical forum I think - you could take a look there) was a detachable (?) strop from the underside of the babystay fixing to some structural point under the forepeak floor (analogous to JM's fix), which is obviously less convenient and aesthetically pleasing.

I would suggest getting a professional opinion, but hope it helps to know that a relatively simple and neat reinforcement of the attachment point may be possible.
    Last edited by Hydrozoan; 21-07-18 at 09:20.

you might get more replies on the Sadler owners forum or the facebook group (which is v active)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sadlerandstarlight/
    https://sadlerandstarlight.co.uk/

I'm in both. Quicker responses from facebook.

Haven't noticed groaning from our S32.

Thanks for your replies, I have thought about putting at strop from the baby stay and continuing it down into the hull, very practical and I think it would work however as you say not very pleasing to the eye.

Hydrozoan the stainless steel bar, is it just the width of the door way and the thickness so it would be approx. 1/2 " thick 1 1/2" wide and about 18" long. I think if I did this I think it would still groan going over waves, so dunno what I will do. there must be an answer somewhere?

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by emearg View Post
    Thanks for your replies, I have thought about putting at strop from the baby stay and continuing it down into the hull, very practical and I think it would work however as you say not very pleasing to the eye.

Hydrozoan the stainless steel bar, is it just the width of the door way and the thickness so it would be approx. 1/2 " thick 1 1/2" wide and about 18" long. I think if I did this I think it would still groan going over waves, so dunno what I will do. there must be an answer somewhere?

Graeme
    Yes, your measurements seem about right as it is, I believe, as long as the width of the door frame, about as wide as the ‘depth’ (fore to aft) of the frame and perhaps a cm or so deep top to bottom –the latter was presumably the most important dimension in our situation, and I’m only going by the depth of the trim (below the sort of headlining moulding channel described at #9 by Vyv Cox for the S34).

I did say that it might not answer your needs if your movement is to one side, and larger. I guess a longer bar could perhaps be used, but it would obviously be more complicated to go wider than the door frame into the area of the bulkhead and a strop/bar solution then becomes more attractive.

All I can say is don’t panic, assess it carefully and get the best advice you can. Perhaps not much help, but it comes with my best wishes!

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

On the 34 the moulding over the door blends into the ring frame that supports the bulkheads, so is actually a fairly complex structure that distributes the babystay loads right down to the hull. I think that an add-on piece that is only the width of the door would have limited effectiveness.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    On the 34 the moulding over the door blends into the ring frame that supports the bulkheads, so is actually a fairly complex structure that distributes the babystay loads right down to the hull. I think that an add-on piece that is only the width of the door would have limited effectiveness.
    The structure might perhaps be somewhat different on the 32, but probably more to the point is that the ‘backwards movement’ on the babystay attachment point reported by our surveyor was (I think) both small and localized. All I can say is that we have not noticed any movement or ‘groaning’ – but of course as it was a new boat to us at survey, I had not noticed any before! I repeat the suggestion to obtain professional advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12