Default Westerly Falcon. No exhaust muffler or water lock.

It's blooming noisy, and it's flat calm today.

Can't put up with the din any more.

Any recommendations on brands or fitting tips, please?

I realise the water lock needs to be as low as possible, to reduce the risk of engine flooding.

Were these optional extras?

Edit: it's the original 1989 Volvo Penta 2003.
    Last edited by NealB; 21-07-18 at 09:35.

Default Re: Westerly Falcon. No exhaust muffler or water lock.

Is it a wet exhaust system? It seems odd that the builder would install a wet exhaust system without a water trap but this is not my area of expertise.

Richard

Look in the Vetus catalogue which is on line and you will find very good guidance on fitting wet exhaust systems - dimensions , locations types of waterlocks etc. An NLP type would be the normal fitment then a straight run to a loop up as far as you can go before the exit. That will reduce noise and probably no need for a second muffler. You need to know the internal diameter of the exhaust hose to get the right size spigots. The inlet and outlet can be moved in two planes to make installation easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Look in the Vetus catalogue which is on line and you will find very good guidance on fitting wet exhaust systems - dimensions , locations types of waterlocks etc. An NLP type would be the normal fitment then a straight run to a loop up as far as you can go before the exit. That will reduce noise and probably no need for a second muffler. You need to know the internal diameter of the exhaust hose to get the right size spigots. The inlet and outlet can be moved in two planes to make installation easy.
    +1
    Page 79 et seq

http://pdf.nauticexpo.com/pdf/vetus/...99645-_79.html

Last edited by VicS; 21-07-18 at 11:33.

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by NealB View Post
    I realise the water lock needs to be as low as possible, to reduce the risk of engine flooding.
    It doesn't need to be desperately low, just below the exhaust water injection point by a moderate amount. The bigger issue is that it must be able to contain sufficient water to preclude back-fulling. Vetus recommends half the exhuast volume to to the top of the gooseeck (or do you lack one of those, too?); this includes a generous safety margin.

Adjacent Vetus pages to the ones recommended will give you the full SP, including calculating volumes.

As said, a water trap will quite likely decrease volume to the extent a seperate silencer won't be required.
    All epigrams are false

Thanks for the replies.

1 Yes, it's a wet exhaust

2 link to Get us page is great, thanks

3 yes, we have a biggish swan neck just before the exhaust skin fitting.

Luckily we're managing to sail down the Wallet, at the moment.

When I bought my Falcon the engineers survey found salt water ingress via exhaust. Took this into account in purchase price then replaced Volvo with Beta Engine and fitted Vetua water trap.

1500 engine hours of hard cruising and no further problems.

Engine is a lot quieter than before. Don't know if it's because of engine or water trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiercel View Post
    Engine is a lot quieter than before. Don't know if it's because of engine or water trap.
    Probably both! When I had a Centaur (1976) there was a small 2-cylinder Volvo MD7a (?) and a small 'muffler' that looked like two rubber cones stuck to each other, bases to base. When I scrapped the Volvo and fitted a Lombardini LDW903M I left the 'muffler' in place. I installed a Vetus water trap below the exhaust elbow AND I also added a Vetus swanneck in the cockpit locker. I remember having to having to cut an access 'hatch' in the back bulkhead of the 'coffin berth' to gain access because the aft 'locker' (Layout A) was... let's just say that my son was pre-teen at that time could fit in there if persuaded / cajoled / bribed!
    It made world of difference! The modern cylindrical Vetus trap are of a larger volume and this helps tremendously.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?