Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Update to 'Crinan Drying Up'

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Any update on transit through Crinan for boats over 1.8m draft?
    Plenty of Wet stuff falling over the Caledonian Canal these past few days
    Still dry there. So still 1.8m max but may be worth asking.

Sealock operating times are 1 hour either side of Haw at each end. Internal structures open as normal..
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Regarding transit times it is very fast just now with only 3 or 4 boats each way per day, on Monday we brought four boats through from Crinan in time to lock out to Loch Fyne when the window opened and then started another from Ardrishaig and had it at lock 13 by 15-30 as he wanted to get to Tob. that evening, but that was the only day Crinan was locking morning and evening. By contrast we had to follow two newbies next day and if the lock keepers had not persuaded them to let us by, the boats would not have got out that day. Most boats are having to wait overnight to get out depending on tide times and despite some light rain this month the reserves are still depleting.
    In my opinion it is unlikely that the restrictions will be lifted this season.
    Last edited by Quandary; 15-08-18 at 07:21.

Thanks both for the updates. At 2.0m unladen in salt water it looks like Crinan is out for us.
    MoK lovely in the right weather - but rather much of the wrong weather currently (wet’’n’windy)!

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    In my opinion it is unlikely that the restrictions will be lifted this season.
    My money is on floods before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    My money is on floods before the end of the year.
    Are the hills above Cairnbaan prone to flooding?

Quote Originally Posted by A1Sailor View Post
    Are the hills above Cairnbaan prone to flooding?
    No, but in recent years there have been occasions in summer when the Crinan has been closed because of flooding, getting rid of too much water can be an even more serious problem than not enough. We were stopped at least once last year when it was regarded as too risky to proceed and all effort had to be directed at getting rid of water safely. The safe level on the reach from Dunardry to Crinan is over a metre lower than when the Canal was built, the banks are still high enough they are possibly not strong enough, that is why the rise on Lock 13 is now something like 13' with the sluices now exposed at the bottom of the gates when it was originally 8' like all the others.
    The extent of the moorland loch catchment above Dunardry is very extensive but I am told levels of some of the lochs up there are down 40' while the very uppermost ones are empty. How they let it get so low is a question that may need to be answered eventually.
    While our house on the West Bank sits above the Canal many (2 storeyed) along the East bank are within a few metres of the bank, with the water level with their roof, so when it rains as hard as it can up here it must worry some householders, combine that with the steady decline in the unmaintained structures????

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    The safe level on the reach from Dunardry to Crinan is over a metre lower than when the Canal was built ...
    That seems like a huge amount. An extra metre would put the Linnet's steps at Crinan well under water.

The extent of the moorland loch catchment above Dunardry is very extensive but I am told levels of some of the lochs up there are down 40' while the very uppermost ones are empty. How they let it get so low is a question that may need to be answered eventually.
    There was an occasion some years (20?) ago when vandals effectively pulled the plug on the Lochgilphead drinking water reservoir, and this wasn't discovered until it was almost empty,some weeks later. A cross-feed from the canal reservoirs was arranged, and transits were very restricted for the rest of that year.

Just reminising. Probably not relevant.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I always thought lock 10 had a huge drop. I remember working there on a Tobermory Race weekend in 1979 when the locks were crammed full of boats. The Sonatas and other smaller yachts were three abreast at the rear, and no matter how many times you advised them to move forward to avoid their transom hung rudders "drying out" on the concrete ledge under the upper gates there was generally a great deal of alarm and nashing of teeth when the water drained out!
    9, 11 and 12 on the Dunardry flight seemed lesser drops, with 13 similar to 10.

Edit: I guess 13 has an extra metre drop, since the reach to Crinan is a metre lower than designed...
    Last edited by A1Sailor; 15-08-18 at 19:09.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456