Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Haines 350 / Broom 35cl

Thank you. It sounds highly undesirable.
    Broom owners club..... www.broomowners.com

I just bought a 35cl , got it last Friday and she has the largest engine option ,twin 170 yanmars .
    We had looked at the 38 as well but felt it was just a little to big , the 35 gives nearly as much space minus the lower dinette and has much easier access with the moulded steps at the stern .
    When MBM tested it in 2000 it was with these engines and they did say at the time that they were proberly to powerful for it if you didn't take care , BUT ,they did take it out in a Force 5 wind against tide with 6ft waves and pushed it at 18/19 knots . They said that she was perfectly happy at going into the waves forward of the beam but was very wayward going down wind but if you trottled back to the low teens she settled down and was fine . Equally in their conclusion they said that the larger engines give a good reserve of power if you're heavily loaded or you just wanted to make a run for somewhere .
    I have the review for both the Broom and the Haines and they tested the Haines with the 280hp engine , if you want a copy of them let me know and I can scan and email them .

Quote Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
    I just bought a 35cl , got it last Friday and she has the largest engine option ,twin 170 yanmars .
    We had looked at the 38 as well but felt it was just a little to big , the 35 gives nearly as much space minus the lower dinette and has much easier access with the moulded steps at the stern .
    When MBM tested it in 2000 it was with these engines and they did say at the time that they were proberly to powerful for it if you didn't take care , BUT ,they did take it out in a Force 5 wind against tide with 6ft waves and pushed it at 18/19 knots . They said that she was perfectly happy at going into the waves forward of the beam but was very wayward going down wind but if you trottled back to the low teens she settled down and was fine . Equally in their conclusion they said that the larger engines give a good reserve of power if you're heavily loaded or you just wanted to make a run for somewhere .
    I have the review for both the Broom and the Haines and they tested the Haines with the 280hp engine , if you want a copy of them let me know and I can scan and email them .
    Thanks, very helpful.p and congrats on the new boat. PM sent
    Last edited by Greg2; 23-07-18 at 23:25.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12