Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    2,351

    Default kad32 possible air leak ?

    Just returned from a holiday on the boat.
    Port engine (kad32)not wanting to rev above 3200rpm. It will hold 3000rpm if the starboard engine is 200rpm higher. Have changed fuel filters .
    It has been suggested to me the 'O' ring seals on the pipe between the turbo and intercooler might need to be renewed . Items 10 and 13 on the following exploded view .
    Does this sound like a likely solution?
    https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...0-25-3045.aspx
    Turbo was refurbished in 2015 and has been okay until this recent development.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    midlands
    Posts
    6,872

    Default Re: kad32 possible air leak ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Just returned from a holiday on the boat.
    Port engine (kad32)not wanting to rev above 3200rpm. It will hold 3000rpm if the starboard engine is 200rpm higher. Have changed fuel filters .
    It has been suggested to me the 'O' ring seals on the pipe between the turbo and intercooler might need to be renewed . Items 10 and 13 on the following exploded view .
    Does this sound like a likely solution?
    https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...0-25-3045.aspx
    Turbo was refurbished in 2015 and has been okay until this recent development.
    Could be the o rings , I changed both turbos yesterday on the sales targa 37, o rings missing from both engines, boost was very low.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: kad32 possible air leak ?

    Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Could be the o rings , I changed both turbos yesterday on the sales targa 37, o rings missing from both engines, boost was very low.
    Paul
    Thank you for responding.

    I am sure the O rings cannot possibly be missing as the engines have run fine since you fitted the refurbished turbo in spring 2016. This fault is a development this year. I guess an O ring may have moved or could have failed. Can the pipe be easily removed by slackening the clamp and without disturbing anything else ? The use of a test boost gauge has been offered to me - perhaps that would be the first thing to try?

    What I have done over the winter is fitted brand new but aftermarket A4 props to the starboard engine . I guess it is possible the props on the port engine are not A4 or in some way the two sets of props are not matched. If that is so I guess it is possible the port engine is doing more work than the starboard engine and refusing to reach full revs under load? Everything seems fine up to 3000rpm then then the starboard engine is willing to go but the port engine doesn't want to go.
    I am toying with the idea of swapping the props over between legs to see if the issue changes . Now we are back on the river the opportunities for a high speed run are limited but I do need to do something.


    I have taken to doing my own servicing at first as an economy measure but quite enjoyed it . I hope you will not be offended.
    Regards
    Martyn

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: kad32 possible air leak ?

    Hi

    Likely you have thought of this already, but is the poorly performing engine getting trimmed out as well or as much as the good performing engine ? Not in terms of gauge indication, but actual ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: kad32 possible air leak ?

    Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    Hi

    Likely you have thought of this already, but is the poorly performing engine getting trimmed out as well or as much as the good performing engine ? Not in terms of gauge indication, but actual ?
    Good question but not sure how this can be checked. The legs are moving okay and the boat was last out in March and the legs raised okay.
    Does a video showing the wake help?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXwwOPBrMT8&t=331s

    .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to