Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Marina showers - Brightlingsea vs Bradwell

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    And even then, just the bit near the marina. Didn’t look like that when I was a kid
    And in fairness up till about 10/12 years ago it looked remarkably different! Just the shell of what was once James and Stone shipyard and the Old Wreck House dating back to the 1800's and earlier. The Old Wreck House used to be where the draftsmen stored their drawings and layouts for the builds...it had a preservation order on it and had to be an integral part of any development. There was a "mysterious" fire that destroyed most of the shipyard and did some damage to the Wreckhouse but fortunately, our local firemen knew the importance of the building and it was saved. The developers decided they could do a 'work around' and with the assistance of a benevolent planning department, steamrollered their plans through to give us 'Cell Block H'. I am certain that everything was completely above board...odd how the Brightlingsea Societies plans for a low rise, low density development with walk ways and dock areas akin to Maldon's Hythe were never considered as viable despite backing of a local developer.

BTW Quite like Bradwell, some lovely walks along the Blackwater shoreline a couple of decent pubs in near walking distance, a friendly, well sheltered marina and easy access via a well marked creek...what is there not to like?
    Last edited by Cobra; 26-07-18 at 12:54.
    I wish they would move mornings to a more convenient time of the day...

Had showers at Titchmarsh, Brightlingsea, West Mersea, Stone SC, Shotley in last two weeks. Stone SC by far the best.

RE the depths
    Last weekend I went to Brightlingsea & stopped the night on a pontoon. Rafted out one boat. A boat rafted further out next to me reported 0.8 of water depth at LW. This was in spite of the HM's claim that the area had been dredged.
    On Monday I was hauled out at Shotley for a scrub & was surprised at the amount of mud I had picked up on my keel (1.75 draft) which was still there after motoring to Shotley. Such issues must affect boat performance badly.

On return to Bradwell, I just touched very gently for about 5 mins & passed through @ 18.35 ( LW Bradwell waterside 17.17/ HW 23.10 BST--4.7 range) . I could have pushed through but having just paid for a scrub at Shotley I had no intention of messing up my keel.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 29-07-18 at 15:24.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    RE the depths
    Last weekend I went to Brightlingsea & stopped the night on a pontoon. Rafted out one boat. A boat rafted further out next to me reported 0.8 of water depth at LW. This was in spite of the HM's claim that the area had been dredged.
    On Monday I was hauled out at Shotley for a scrub & was surprised at the amount of mud I had picked up on my keel (1.75 draft) which was still there after motoring to Shotley. Such issues must affect boat performance badly.

On return to Bradwell, I just touched very gently for about 5 mins & passed through @ 18.35 ( LW Bradwell waterside 17.17/ HW 23.10 BST--4.7 range) . I could have pushed through but having just paid for a scrub at Shotley I had no intention of messing up my keel.
    That was pushing it!
    How much for a scrub at Shotley?
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    That was pushing it!
    How much for a scrub at Shotley?
    I did not have to push anything. I was followed in by another Hanse 311 but with shallow draft & the owner had a laugh because we had earlier had a discussion about the merits of shallow/deep draft & he went round me & said " Now tell me shallow draft is no good!" as he passed 15 feet away.
    He let me lead most of the way calling out the depth & I only just touched. I actually caught him up again before he got to the marina, I was held up for such a short while.

Re the cost of the scrub-- 15-00 per metre & they did not charge for the overnight stay. They also were kind enough to do it just before lunch break so I had time to re-antifoul the bottom 2 feet of the keel ( I have copper coat & any mud sticks to it so errodable antifoul tends to shed it better) clean the prop & change the anode
    Better than the 400-00+ charged at Bradwell

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    I did not have to push anything. I was followed in by another Hanse 311 but with shallow draft & the owner had a laugh because we had earlier had a discussion about the merits of shallow/deep draft & he went round me & said " Now tell me shallow draft is no good!" as he passed 15 feet away.
    He let me lead most of the way calling out the depth & I only just touched. I actually caught him up again before he got to the marina, I was held up for such a short while.

Re the cost of the scrub-- 15-00 per metre & they did not charge for the overnight stay. They also were kind enough to do it just before lunch break so I had time to re-antifoul the bottom 2 feet of the keel ( I have copper coat & any mud sticks to it so errodable antifoul tends to shed it better) clean the prop & change the anode
    Better than the 400-00+ charged at Bradwell
    40 for my dry out and pressure wash seems better value.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    40 for my dry out and pressure wash seems better value.
    Where?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234