Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617

Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Well I for one haven’t upgraded to dsc...
    Just think of the advantages. With all that extra money, the RYA could go to the International Court of Justice in The Hague to demand that British Boat Owners have an inalienable right to change the fanbelts on their engines. Yay. Win, win.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Its sooo hard I dont know how I will ever cope those buttons are sooo big and soooo far away those horrid people and their naaasty noises pah.
    My radio is down below and there is - as far as I am aware - no means of silencing a DSC alarm other than (a) listening to the call or (b) turning the damn thing off. I go sailing for peace and quiet, not for a klaxon to tell me that a mark fifty miles away is switched off for a bit.

Cmon dudes I bet you can sit in yer front room at home with the telly on and not get frantic about it all the time. background blah.
    I don't have a telly. Bet you wouldn't like it if yours randomly set off the fire alarm every so often.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    My radio is down below and there is - as far as I am aware - no means of silencing a DSC alarm other than (a) listening to the call or (b) turning the damn thing off. I go sailing for peace and quiet, not for a klaxon to tell me that a mark fifty miles away is switched off for a bit.

I don't have a telly. Bet you wouldn't like it if yours randomly set off the fire alarm every so often.
    I once had a Navman set where DSC could be toggled between it and ATIS,effectively switching DSC off when not in an ATIS area.Thank goodness for modern RAM options with full remote capability.

We are currently mobo owners with lower antennas so not driven as crazy by(especially) irrelevant and repeated French CG DSC alarms from hundreds of miles away as we used to be with a very tall mast on south coast.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
    We returned to Poole from Alderney yesterday, the last leg of a fine 4 week summer cruise, which took us to S Brittany

As we came into VHF range of Solent Coastguard I quickly lost count of the number of radio check responses broadcast by the overworked, and very patient, coastguard. For the previous few weeks I had not heard a single radio check request to the French coastguard.

So why do the Brits have this curious obsession
    They dont. Its a Solent thing. I guess they feel a bit lost once clear of the London suburbs and home..

You rarely hear radio checks in the Bristol channel where the sailing is a bit more serious than the Solent.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    They dont. Its a Solent thing. I guess they feel a bit lost once clear of the London suburbs and home..

You rarely hear radio checks in the Bristol channel where the sailing is a bit more serious than the Solent.
    Nor up here on the NE coast of England.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post

Im surprised. I thought that the extra finger would be quite useful operating the set.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617