Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast

Default An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

We returned to Poole from Alderney yesterday, the last leg of a fine 4 week summer cruise, which took us to S Brittany

As we came into VHF range of Solent Coastguard I quickly lost count of the number of radio check responses broadcast by the overworked, and very patient, coastguard. For the previous few weeks I had not heard a single radio check request to the French coastguard.

To make matters worse, the U.K. registered boat that had left Alderney at the same time as us waited until they were through the shipping lanes (where arguably there might be the need to clarify the intentions of an oncoming ship) before deciding to contact Solent to ask for a radio check!

So why do the Brits have this curious obsession and how do the French /Dutch /Belgians/ Germans manage to sail safely without continual anxiety over their radios?

Do we have Marine VHF related OCD? Is this behaviour encouraged as part of the RYA VHF exam? Is it just a S Coast /Solent phenomenon? Do people think it's good practice, or are they bored? Hasn't anyone heard of National Coastwatch being happy to respond on Ch 65 if you really aren't sure about your set?

Rant over.

Answers on a postcard please.
    Last edited by GrahamD; 24-07-18 at 18:29. Reason: Grammar
    No need to struggle with sail handling. Go 4 speed.
    www.pontoswinches.co.uk.

Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

Over the past 40 yrs my various VHF sets have never failed to work.
    Blame the sailing skools

[So why do the Brits have this curious obsession and how do the French /Dutch /Belgians/ Germans manage to sail safely without continual anxiety over their radios? ]
    Ditto red / Bio diesel
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Yes, it is a hangover from the distant days when VHF was effectively the only means of communication and it acquired sort of mythical status - you had to join the "club" to use it. Club was run by people for whom it was the centre of their universe so passed on the myths. Despite constant official requests not to do it, some people think it a rite of passage - even if they often do not have a clue how to use it properly.

A could of weeks back I heard radio request checks from a commercial fisherman and a lifeboat, so it's not just us leisure types. I have only done it once in my life, when I installed a new radio.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
    ... Is it just a S Coast /Solent phenomenon? ...

Rant over.

Answers on a postcard please.
    Probably. Was out for three weeks on the west coast of Scotland and we both commented when we heard a single radio check in that period.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    A could of weeks back I heard radio request checks from a commercial fisherman and a lifeboat, so it's not just us leisure types. I have only done it once in my life, when I installed a new radio.
    Yes there are times when it is entirely justified to check VHF - I did so as we set off from Poole to Roscoff (check was made via Coastwatch) but we were doing a long trip and I had been doing some electrical work on the boat prior to departure. After that I left it and I certainly don't routinely radio check every time the set is switched on.

I'm amazed that the Coastguard continues to be so patient - I would probably have been sacked long ago for the responses that I would have been tempted to make
    No need to struggle with sail handling. Go 4 speed.
    www.pontoswinches.co.uk.

Sailing back on Sunday from Newtown Creek to Portsmouth heard at least 3 radio checks and agree slightly annoying.

My theory is it's self importance and insecurity. It's a national embarrassment.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Over the past 40 yrs my various VHF sets have never failed to work.
    Blame the sailing skools

[So why do the Brits have this curious obsession and how do the French /Dutch /Belgians/ Germans manage to sail safely without continual anxiety over their radios? ]
    Ditto red / Bio diesel
    What's with accusing the schools?

I've worked for several and examined for a load more and I've never heard of any of them encouraging radio checks.
    Semper aliud

SEEms a nonsense to me. Never done it in my life, don’t intend to. VEry rarely hear it in Norn Iron or Scotland. Seems to be an ENGLish obsession

Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast