Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 166
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Chichester
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

    Thought I would re-kindle this thread after hearing a request for a radio check on Ch16 about every 3-5 minutes in the Solent yesterday afternoon. Probably all to do with the RTI. NCI listen on 65 and positvely encourage anyone who feels the need for a radio check to use their service rather than coastguard.

    https://www.nci.org.uk/stations/solent-marine-vhf

    It struck me as particularly ironic that on a day when there are literally thousands of extra vessels in the area, people clog up 16. In amongst the radio check chatter were a number of Pan Pan and maydays.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,786

    Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

    We actually fitted a new VHF last week. Didn’t do a radio check with NCI as the propagation was so good. Ought perhaps to do one some time, but imho it’s only worth it if you are actually testing the range on 25watts
    Last edited by Kukri; 30-06-19 at 11:37.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    960

    Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

    I recently did one for the first time in 30 years. We had tried to contact a port authority but they said they could not hear us well. I was using my new backup aerial on the stern arch which I had installed to supplement the 5 year old mast head aerial and cable which has peculiarities. Both pick up AIS over similar range.

    So when we had finished talking to port I swapped over to the suspect mast head rig and asked CG for Radio check. Weak but readable. A result !

    I now suspect poor aerial 12m up is better offshore than good aerial 3m up, but I am glad I checked. If I get mast down in next 5 years and replace the aerial I will check again
    A boat is for going places

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    4,262

    Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was reminded of it recently. Last September we sailed out of the Solent and started an Atlantic circuit. On our way back we stopped for a couple of days in L'Aberwach, Brittany. Just after we left, 150nm from the Needles, we heard "station calling Solent coastguard for a radio check, you are weak but readable". This was the first radio check we'd heard since leaving and there was a little cheer that went up from both of us!
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,722

    Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was reminded of it recently. Last September we sailed out of the Solent and started an Atlantic circuit. On our way back we stopped for a couple of days in L'Aberwach, Brittany. Just after we left, 150nm from the Needles, we heard "station calling Solent coastguard for a radio check, you are weak but readable". This was the first radio check we'd heard since leaving and there was a little cheer that went up from both of us!
    Allan
    Similar experience in the vicinity of Jersey recently, however a fortnight or so ago Solent Coastguard were responding with "Loud and clear (or as appropriate), for future reference in daylight hours please consider calling National Coastwatch on channel 65 for radiochecks". However by this weekend they seemed to have dropped this addition.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    4,262

    Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    Similar experience in the vicinity of Jersey recently, however a fortnight or so ago Solent Coastguard were responding with "Loud and clear (or as appropriate), for future reference in daylight hours please consider calling National Coastwatch on channel 65 for radiochecks". However by this weekend they seemed to have dropped this addition.
    While reading through the interesting thread about AIS/VHF aerials, I thought that, if I were to need a radio check, I would call NCI. As the aerial should be optimised for channel 16 using a suboptimal channel (65), would be a better check.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

  7. #127
    photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35,484

    Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

    I’d rather drown a watery death screaming into a dead mic than suffer the indignity of making a radio check.

    Which is why I always use another boats name and fake Scottish accent when making them.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    607

    Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    While reading through the interesting thread about AIS/VHF aerials, I thought that, if I were to need a radio check, I would call NCI. As the aerial should be optimised for channel 16 using a suboptimal channel (65), would be a better check.
    Allan
    In practice it won't make any difference which channel you use, 'suboptimal' or otherwise.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    8,223

    Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

    Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Id rather drown a watery death screaming into a dead mic than suffer the indignity of making a radio check.

    Which is why I always use another boats name and fake Scottish accent when making them.
    AH! So you are the one............................................... .....

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,786

    Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was reminded of it recently. Last September we sailed out of the Solent and started an Atlantic circuit. On our way back we stopped for a couple of days in L'Aberwach, Brittany. Just after we left, 150nm from the Needles, we heard "station calling Solent coastguard for a radio check, you are weak but readable". This was the first radio check we'd heard since leaving and there was a little cheer that went up from both of us!
    Allan
    Classic!

    I think that is the winning post on this thread!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to