Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast

Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

Thought I would re-kindle this thread after hearing a request for a radio check on Ch16 about every 3-5 minutes in the Solent yesterday afternoon. Probably all to do with the RTI. NCI listen on 65 and positvely encourage anyone who feels the need for a radio check to use their service rather than coastguard.

https://www.nci.org.uk/stations/solent-marine-vhf

It struck me as particularly ironic that on a day when there are literally thousands of extra vessels in the area, people clog up 16. In amongst the radio check chatter were a number of Pan Pan and maydays.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

We actually fitted a new VHF last week. Didn’t do a radio check with NCI as the propagation was so good. Ought perhaps to do one some time, but imho it’s only worth it if you are actually testing the range on 25watts
    Last edited by Kukri; 30-06-19 at 11:37.

I recently did one for the first time in 30 years. We had tried to contact a port authority but they said they could not hear us well. I was using my new backup aerial on the stern arch which I had installed to supplement the 5 year old mast head aerial and cable which has peculiarities. Both pick up AIS over similar range.

So when we had finished talking to port I swapped over to the suspect mast head rig and asked CG for Radio check. Weak but readable. A result !

I now suspect poor aerial 12m up is better offshore than good aerial 3m up, but I am glad I checked. If I get mast down in next 5 years and replace the aerial I will check again
    A boat is for going places

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was reminded of it recently. Last September we sailed out of the Solent and started an Atlantic circuit. On our way back we stopped for a couple of days in L'Aberwach, Brittany. Just after we left, 150nm from the Needles, we heard "station calling Solent coastguard for a radio check, you are weak but readable". This was the first radio check we'd heard since leaving and there was a little cheer that went up from both of us!
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was reminded of it recently. Last September we sailed out of the Solent and started an Atlantic circuit. On our way back we stopped for a couple of days in L'Aberwach, Brittany. Just after we left, 150nm from the Needles, we heard "station calling Solent coastguard for a radio check, you are weak but readable". This was the first radio check we'd heard since leaving and there was a little cheer that went up from both of us!
    Allan
    Similar experience in the vicinity of Jersey recently, however a fortnight or so ago Solent Coastguard were responding with "Loud and clear (or as appropriate), for future reference in daylight hours please consider calling National Coastwatch on channel 65 for radiochecks". However by this weekend they seemed to have dropped this addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    Similar experience in the vicinity of Jersey recently, however a fortnight or so ago Solent Coastguard were responding with "Loud and clear (or as appropriate), for future reference in daylight hours please consider calling National Coastwatch on channel 65 for radiochecks". However by this weekend they seemed to have dropped this addition.
    While reading through the interesting thread about AIS/VHF aerials, I thought that, if I were to need a radio check, I would call NCI. As the aerial should be optimised for channel 16 using a suboptimal channel (65), would be a better check.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

I’d rather drown a watery death screaming into a dead mic than suffer the indignity of making a radio check.

Which is why I always use another boats name and fake Scottish accent when making them.

While reading through the interesting thread about AIS/VHF aerials, I thought that, if I were to need a radio check, I would call NCI. As the aerial should be optimised for channel 16 using a suboptimal channel (65), would be a better check.
    Allan
    In practice it won't make any difference which channel you use, 'suboptimal' or otherwise.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Id rather drown a watery death screaming into a dead mic than suffer the indignity of making a radio check.

Which is why I always use another boats name and fake Scottish accent when making them.
    AH! So you are the one............................................... .....

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Allan
    Classic!

I think that is the winning post on this thread!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast