Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

Quote Originally Posted by pmagowan View Post
    YOU should check your radio daily by tapping it with a hammer and listening to the ring it makes. You are looking for a dull thud, any rattling means there isn’t something wrong. Normally you just need to tighten channel 16 back on with some mole grips
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

YOU should check your radio daily by tapping it with a hammer and listening to the ring it makes. You are looking for a dull thud, any rattling means there isn’t something wrong. Normally you just need to tighten channel 16 back on with some mole grips
    In fact, one could check the entire engine daily using the same principle.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Angele View Post
    Mind you, there are annoying things that happen on VHF on the other side of the Channel. One is the French Vessel Traffic Service calling up all the ships entering the NE lane of the Casquets TSS for their "compulsory report".

The other is the DSC alarm going off whenever CROSS Corsen or CROSS Jobourg want to be sure that you are listening to whatever they are about to say. (To cancel the DSC alarm I have to pop below to the chart table, and the alarm always seems to go off just as I enter a harbour and can't communicate with the crew because of the earpiercing screech going off). On my last trip I kept hearing announcements beginning "Maid Erolay" followed by a description (in French) of her latest dangerous exploits - MOB, aground, engine failure etc. Took a while before the penny dropped and I realised it was Mayday Relay.
    I can understand the CG calling ships for vessel reports because that is a commercial use & probably necessary.
    However, I agree with you that the French use of the DSC alert is a real pain especially, as you say, when one is trying to enter Ramsgate or the like. I also wonder why they often start some non urgent announcements with a Pan Pan.
    Perhaps it is because they are distressed that we do not give a rats a.. what they want to prattle on about.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 28-07-18 at 09:32.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

You should also check the coastguard are still listening by shouting ‘Marco’ into the receiver every 2 minutes and waiting for the response ‘Polo’.

5000 people doing an annual radio check during the sailing season is a lot of checks every day
    Why not just let the kids play their flute on the air waves for a while & wait for someone to tell them to shut the F up
    That normally works
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

It seems to me that, in the Solent, if you get into trouble a) someone has already seen you, taken a photo and posted it on Instagram or b) you can politely ask the skipper of the nearest boat to give you a hand without the need to raise your voice. If that doesn’t work just walk across the other boats to the shore making sure to go in front of the mast and tread quietly!

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
    This is all sounding like a good candidate for automation to me.
    No need - there's already a channel where you won't disturb other vessels, manned by human operators all round the English and Welsh coast from the Humber to Blackpoole eager to help out, and an explicit invitation to do radio checks.

And yet hardly anyone seems to use it.

Pete

It seems to me that, in the Solent, if you get into trouble a) someone has already seen you, taken a photo and posted it on Instagram or b) you can politely ask the skipper of the nearest boat to give you a hand without the need to raise your voice. If that doesn’t work just walk across the other boats to the shore making sure to go in front of the mast and tread quietly!

Ah! Sounds like you’ve left your home waters and tried to anchor in Osborne Bay on a Summer weekend!

I’ve just had a two week cruise through your home waters towards Lough Foyle. A truly wonderful experience. We never heard anyone asking CG for a radio check. Plenty of opportunity each day to use the radio for its intended purpose to call Harbour Radio or Marinas. We were called by a Derdger to be given some information, he’d used our AIS signature, we were also called by an Irish flagged sail training vessel for their training purposes. Very different waters compared to Lake Solent and long may that continue.

I had thought that those doing radio checks in the Solent were about to undertake long passages from say Gosport to Cowes. Yet sitting in Cherbourg I have heard two boats which had just left call Solent Coastguard for a radio check! Understandably they got no reply but they did not return thinking their radio was dead, so why did they bother!

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    No need - there's already a channel where you won't disturb other vessels, manned by human operators all round the English and Welsh coast from the Humber to Blackpoole eager to help out, and an explicit invitation to do radio checks.

And yet hardly anyone seems to use it.

Pete

I do, and the NCI people seem to appreciate the contact.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast