Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast

Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

Quote Originally Posted by Benny257 View Post
    Thought I would re-kindle this thread after hearing a request for a radio check on Ch16 about every 3-5 minutes in the Solent yesterday afternoon. Probably all to do with the RTI. NCI listen on 65 and positvely encourage anyone who feels the need for a radio check to use their service rather than coastguard.

https://www.nci.org.uk/stations/solent-marine-vhf

It struck me as particularly ironic that on a day when there are literally thousands of extra vessels in the area, people clog up 16. In amongst the radio check chatter were a number of Pan Pan and maydays.
    I've always found the NCI very good. If you are on AIS they can check you are on the internet; not sure if they have a receiving set; must visit Rame Head one day.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

When leaving port it is good practice to inform coasties of your intentions, compliment, ETA. Saves the interminable radio check request.

Seems to me it's a bit like middle-lane driving on the motorway - bad form brought on by insecurity and/or inexperience. Having said that, given the sheer volume of day-sailors within range of Solent Coastguard, it's hardly surprising!

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Id rather drown a watery death screaming into a dead mic than suffer the indignity of making a radio check.

Which is why I always use another boats name and fake Scottish accent when making them.
    Hmm. The one radio check request I heard in a month on the west coast was - as they normally are - in a plummy English accent. Perhaps it was one of my fellow countrymen disguising himself in the other direction.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Hmm. The one radio check request I heard in a month on the west coast was - as they normally are - in a plummy English accent. Perhaps it was one of my fellow countrymen disguising himself in the other direction.
    Why would they do that?

Living near Saffron Walden, sailing out of Burnham on Crouch

Incredible that there are 14 pages of comments on this topic.

The basic question is - does my VHF transmit and does it receive? Easily answered by calling your local marina, NCI (as mentioned many times), in our case - the club tender that ferries us to and from our swinging mooring or indeed taking a portable handset and walking 500m away and calling back to someone on the boat.

This is a nice clear explanation for testing more up-to-date DSC radios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z826TdXCan8

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Very useful. I’ve got a 93D and I didn’t know it could do that.

(Read the manual.. moi?)

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Possibly. Or it could just be one of the Solent escapees reverting to type.

Whenever I hear the coastguard reporting to a rado check request with "station calling for radio check, you are weak but readable" I always hope the are going to say" weak and pathetic"

Quote Originally Posted by 38mess View Post
    When leaving port it is good practice to inform coasties of your intentions, compliment, ETA. Saves the interminable radio check request.
    I would say not, what are they going to do, why not use the the RYA Safetrax app? And call the NCI on the VHF.
    Last edited by Habebty; 07-08-19 at 19:26.
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast