Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast

Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I don't think anyone is worried about radio checks. It's constant checks on Channel 16 which concern. Not a big issue where I am, but they tell me it's not good on the Solent.
    +1
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

I don't think anyone is worried about radio checks. It's constant checks on Channel 16 which concern. Not a big issue where I am, but they tell me it's not good on the Solent.
    A couple of months ago an irritated Solent coastguard officer did clearly state in a very acidic tone "Please refrain from using CH16 for radio checks" after a morning of what seemed like endless calls. Cue more radio checks.......

But yes, on weekends when the sun is shining it's all you tend to hear up until around mid-day. Start of the season is usually when it's most prevalent.

A prosecution by Ofcom would make the front page of the yachty mags, forums and FB groups, and mostly put a stop to the (mal)practice.
    The fine would be token or miniscule, the magistrate would offer words of warning (probably..)
    Anyone public-spirited and irritated enough to take one for the team and be done over publicly by the authorities? We will crowd-fund your fine don't worry

Quote Originally Posted by kayenox View Post
    The basic question is - does my VHF transmit and does it receive? Easily answered by calling your local marina, NCI (as mentioned many times), in our case - the club tender that ferries us to and from our swinging mooring or indeed taking a portable handset and walking 500m away and calling back to someone on the boat.
    Fortunately this does seem to be primarily still an English “national obsession” - not least as some of the suggested alternatives don’t travel well ....
    - not many manned marinas north of Oban on the North West of Scotland
    - no National Coastwatch Institution in Scotland - and unlikely ever to be possible outwith Clyde as massively more coast to watch than rest of U.K.
    - no club launches beyond the Clyde?
    But can call up and chat to a passing yacht, if see any (I saw one briefly yesterday).

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet View Post
    Of course, those who piously moan about needless radio check have absolutely zero information about how useful they are. They don't hear the check requests that didn't work, and provided important information to the caller. Also the "weak and distorted" reply I got caused me to check my backup aerial system - very useful indeed.

Self righteous rage about radio checks is indeed an infuriating obsession.
    Living in Scotland you may not appreciate the sheer number of radio checks on Ch16 heard in and around the Solent area. No one doubts the importance of a radio check if you have a concern about your set, or after installation or repair, but these should not be carried out on Ch16 as they block out the distress channel, and make many users turn off their radios to get some peace. Concern about this is not “pious moaning” or “self-righteous rage” but a highlights a genuine safety issue.

To understand the efficiency of their sets most people would be better contacting a known point such as NCI or a Marina as the boat owner will not know which coastguard aerial is being contacted so has little idea of the range at which they are operating.

I originally started this thread because it seemed that such frequent VHF checks are a UK phenomenon; from the responses it would seem that it is really a South Coast issue. Or maybe South Coast radios are inherently less reliable?

"......many users turn off their radios to get some peace....."

That's the downside of radiocheckitus. Trivial DSC alerts don't help either.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
    Living in Scotland you may not appreciate the sheer number of radio checks on Ch16 heard in and around the Solent area. No one doubts the importance of a radio check if you have a concern about your set, or after installation or repair, but these should not be carried out on Ch16 as they block out the distress channel, and make many users turn off their radios to get some peace. Concern about this is not “pious moaning” or “self-righteous rage” but a highlights a genuine safety issue.

To understand the efficiency of their sets most people would be better contacting a known point such as NCI or a Marina as the boat owner will not know which coastguard aerial is being contacted so has little idea of the range at which they are operating.

I originally started this thread because it seemed that such frequent VHF checks are a UK phenomenon; from the responses it would seem that it is really a South Coast issue. Or maybe South Coast radios are inherently less reliable?
    There are a lot more radios on the south coast compared to say, Oban.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    That's the downside of radiocheckitus. Trivial DSC alerts don't help either.
    Absolutely. Stornoway CG seem to have dropped their habit of using DSC alerts for regular local announcements ("the light on the buoy at ... is temporarily out of service") but when they did them I just turned the radio off because cancelling the alarms was a chore.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Absolutely. Stornoway CG seem to have dropped their habit of using DSC alerts for regular local announcements ("the light on the buoy at ... is temporarily out of service") but when they did them I just turned the radio off because cancelling the alarms was a chore.
    Its sooo hard I dont know how I will ever cope those buttons are sooo big and soooo far away those horrid people and their naaasty noises pah.

Cmon dudes I bet you can sit in yer front room at home with the telly on and not get frantic about it all the time. background blah. Yes, channel 16 should not be abused. But it is.

How about having to re take your radio licence test every 5 years to remind everyone not to do that?

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Its sooo hard I dont know how I will ever cope those buttons are sooo big and soooo far away those horrid people and their naaasty noises pah.

Cmon dudes I bet you can sit in yer front room at home with the telly on and not get frantic about it all the time. background blah. Yes, channel 16 should not be abused. But it is.

How about having to re take your radio licence test every 5 years to remind everyone not to do that?
    Well I for one haven’t upgraded to dsc...

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast