Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    My theory is it's self importance and insecurity. It's a national embarrassment.
    Exactly! The sort of behaviour that led to Brexit.
    Ω

The flip side is that there are a lot of people out there, who when push comes to shove, won't be sure if their radio works.
    There are a lot of threads on here related to duff aerials and coaxs.
    It's not like a mobile phone which shows you 5 bars of signal from Vodafone or whatever.
    I see a lot of things on boats not working properly. Engines, blocks, bogs, lights, cookers...
    Why assume that a ten year old two way wireless works unless you personally have witnessed it?

There is a balance. The real problem is that many/most people have zero reason to use the VHF to transmit? They have no mates who they know are listening so how else do they make sure the wretched thing works?
    Having worked in military radio, where it was quite common to phone people on their mobiles to ask them why they didn't respond on the secure voice network, I can sort of see it fom both sides.
    I must admit, I just switch the VHF off if there's too many radio checks.

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    What's with accusing the schools?

I've worked for several and examined for a load more and I've never heard of any of them encouraging radio checks.
    Agreed, my solent based instructor last year made a point of suggesting other methods of radio checking, including the NCI. When i joined a friends boat in my old sailing grounds of North Wales I felt the need to check his VHF was switched on as it was so quiet with the lack of radio checks

I've worked for several and examined for a load more and I've never heard of any of them encouraging radio checks.
    Did you not instruct you pupils on VHF practical use
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

When you are working hard to save the life if somebody who has multiple injuries and are desperate to speak to the SAR helicopter crew will understand the importance of radio checks.

OK it was up a mountain, but the situation is the same.

Personally I prefer to call the local NCI station on Ch65, but this is not an option for everybody.

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

Agree. Sailing Schools are not to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    Agree. Sailing Schools are not to blame.
    OK then, if not sailing schools, how many VHF courses either encourage it (which I doubt) or imply that it is the normal practice of seafarers? I did it once, with a new radio in 1988, but never since. I routinely call my marina anyway when we leave.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

In the eastern Solent we are always more than happy to respond to a radio check.

See my signature.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

I have just had my VHF repaired and when I reinstall it I will do a radio check using the DSC test facility to Solent CG. I may also do a voice check as well so apologies to those in the Solent.
    As mentioned by others, I have had failure of the coax and even aerial over the years that only affected transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Did you not instruct you pupils on VHF practical use
    Yes - and it included knowing that your radio worked from the fact that your friend answered you when you were several miles apart and on low power. Or that the marina or harbour master answered you etc. Not from making numerous spurious calls to 'check that the radio is working'.

I've heard some people check their radio every time they go down to the boat or proceed to sea.... no wonder people listening get fed up with it. (although in the West Country it sometimes just interrupts the conversation between two fishermen about the days catch and the size of the jugs in the local bar they are heading for later that evening. (you can translate that yourselves)
    Semper aliud

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast