Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon Yachts View Post
    Before setting off we always carry out a radio check on a yacht that we are delivering...

Pete
    And that is a prudent action in a boat that is an unknown quantity. However I doubt you ask for a radio check each time you take your own boat to sea

I usually perform a radio check at the start of the season, just to make sure I haven’t b......d anything up during the winter servicing. However I call the club, the harbourmaster or a local boat. I have used the C/G once when I received no response from any of the above. A quandary, if you don’t get a response is your transmit working, or is just that no-pne is listening? At least as a last resort you know that the C/G will be radio watch.

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post
    On Sunday it was the CG that left their mic open!
    It can happen - CG systems are either foot pedal or touch screen - the foot pedals are not unknown to jam, on the older ones at Portland we kept a stick in the ops room to poke them with to release.

The touch screen has to be held whilst transmitting, but I do remember someone sneezing hard enough once for the ...er.. debris to activate the PTT.

Either way, there's not really an excuse for not noticing that your big blue screen key is now bright red.
    Western Solent's Lifeboat -.http://solent-rescue.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    if you can receive, tx is probably ok also.
    Depends on what you mean by "probably".

The electronics in the radio itself are ultimately separate for Rx/Tx so it's entirely possible for one to fail without the other. Maybe someone who knows a bit more about RF can say if there are antenna faults that only effect tx/rx, but when you think of what the antenna is doing in each mode it feels to me like there absolutely would be.

I've never felt the need to try a radio check, and as luck would have it I have to call a marina lock almost every time I use the boat so I get a radio check for free every time. However, if I did feel the need for a Radio check, I suspect a call to someone who is known to be listening some distance away on 25 watts might be the only way (which for some people in the UK might be on Ch16). Maybe someone who understands the sorcery of RF comms can confirm that, or debunk it and demonstrate that a 1 watt exchange with a nearby passing boat is an adequate test.

No excuse for a Radio check on 25 watts on Ch16 in the Solent though, there are countless alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon Yachts View Post
    Before setting off we always carry out a radio check on a yacht that we are delivering...
    Very sensible, but I presume that you don't do it with the coastguard.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    It's not it's the same on the Clyde ......
    "Caladh of Rhu, Caladh of Rhu, Caladh of Rhu, this is Falls of Clyde, Falls of Clyde, Falls of Clyde; Over' repeated ad nauseam all bloody weekend, a good few years ago now (the names are made up). This type of transmission is more common than the radio check I find, on the Clyde. The original message was transmitted in a lovely female voice but it became grating after a while.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    "Caladh of Rhu, Caladh of Rhu, Caladh of Rhu, this is Falls of Clyde, Falls of Clyde, Falls of Clyde; Over' repeated ad nauseam all bloody weekend, a good few years ago now (the names are made up). This type of transmission is more common than the radio check I find, on the Clyde. The original message was transmitted in a lovely female voice but it became grating after a while.
    Sounds like an ideal opportunity to take advantage of the coastguard's decision to discontinue direction finding ...
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Sounds like an ideal opportunity to take advantage of the coastguard's decision to discontinue direction finding ...
    Be careful what you wish for. When I started working the young lady on the switchboard of the company's head office sounded absolutely stunning - six months later I actually met her!!!
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    SeaTow or TowBoat (the marine equivalents of the AA or RAC) offer a free automated radio check response service on several US VHF channels [...]
    Perhaps the UK Coastguard could offer a similar service, it would move a lot of traffic away from channel 16.
    No it wouldn't. The numpties who do radios checks with the coastguard on ch16 would be blithely unaware of any new service.

NCI on ch65 already offer a similar facility here, albeit manual rather than automated. It seems little used.

Pete

Does nobody carry a handheld backup? It seems to me mostly an exercise in pointlessness and lack of respect for other users and the CG to waste time and air on pointless radio checks. Nobody knows their radio is working as the fault can occur after you have done your check but surely if you are so paranoid about this smallest of risks you can think of a better way to resolve it than by wasting literally everyone else’s time and airspace! A complete nonsense and selfish behaviour

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast