Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

I often wonder if those who make regular and repeated radio checks are actually using the facility to broadcast to all & sundry on Ch16 that they are "out and about". I quite often hear the instigator being called by another vessel within a few minutes of the radio check.
    Last edited by Giblets; 25-07-18 at 16:43.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Quote Originally Posted by pmagowan View Post
    A complete nonsense and selfish behaviour
    ...also dangerous as it causes many people to turn right down, or switch-off their sets entirely. I often do on a busy Solent w/e.

The Coastguard should IMHO simply stop responding to these requests on Ch16, as I am sure others have already said.

In two seasons in the Baltic the only radio checks we ever heard on Channel 16 were (beautifully clear) southern English female accents. Red (and blue) ensigns were quite rare though, so perhaps heard one a week.

Interestingly however the big ships did use VHF a lot to confirm intentions when passing - with some quite scary conversations (eg. “negative, you will not turn to port, do you know the COLREGS?”)

Quote Originally Posted by pmagowan View Post
    Does nobody carry a handheld backup? It seems to me mostly an exercise in pointlessness and lack of respect for other users and the CG to waste time and air on pointless radio checks. Nobody knows their radio is working as the fault can occur after you have done your check but surely if you are so paranoid about this smallest of risks you can think of a better way to resolve it than by wasting literally everyone else’s time and airspace! A complete nonsense and selfish behaviour
    Exactly. The VHF is a fairly reliable bit of kit and having a handheld as a back up means bothering others who have better things to do is OTT.

Can anyone explain to me why it is 'infuriating' ?

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Can anyone explain to me why it is 'infuriating' ?
    Infuriating is perhaps a little strong, however, when trying to enjoy time on the water and there is a constant repetitious stream of unnecessary radio traffic which monopolises the contact and emergency channel, (which we all should be monitoring) it is very irritating. The fact that several contributors to this thread have said that they have to turn down the radio rather proves the point.
    No need to struggle with sail handling. Go 4 speed.
    www.pontoswinches.co.uk.

Quote Originally Posted by MM5AHO View Post
    I have yet to hear the coastguard reply that the signal was inaudible.
    Some people must use their radio very little. This year I've heard several calls to Oban Coastguard, and to Clyde Coastguard. Both haven't existed for long enough.

But on another tack...
    I have several times heard the CG announcing that someone has a "open mic", and could they please check their sets. The problem of continuous carrier where someone sits on their mic PTT, or leans on it or something, effectively blocking Ch16 is real.
    But transmitting over the top of it asking them to stop it is a bit futile. The one who is sure not to hear is the one at fault, as their receiver is deactivated while they are transmitting. But how should they cure this problem? What can be done?
    For somewhat obvious reasons really
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
    Infuriating is perhaps a little strong, however, when trying to enjoy time on the water and there is a constant repetitious stream of unnecessary radio traffic which monopolises the contact and emergency channel, (which we all should be monitoring) it is very irritating. The fact that several contributors to this thread have said that they have to turn down the radio rather proves the point.
    Seems to me more like some people are easily irritated and should relax a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Seems to me more like some people are easily irritated and should relax a bit more.
    Might be able to if.........!!
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I suspect the number of calls for a radio check would drop significantly if the CG were to demand the user's licence details.
    Seemed like a good idea at the time!!!

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast