Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: An infuriating national obsession- radio checks

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
    I did say it was a rant. I feel better now, thanks.
    Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    The Coastguard should IMHO simply stop responding to these requests on Ch16, as I am sure others have already said.
    Absolutely. To say one minute that vessels should use Ch67 for routine traffic and the next to reply on Ch16 to requests for a radio check without further comment is silly.

The response should be ‘Yacht Tedious, this is Patient Coastguard. For routine traffic please go Ch 67’.

Or, so as not to reward the selfish caller’s desire to know if his radio still works since last Sunday: ‘Station calling Patient Coastguard, for routine traffic please go Ch 67’.

Back in the not too far distant past, I remember a few occasions on really quiet days, whilst sailing serenely in Poole Bay, hearing Portland CG calling Solent CG on Ch16 asking for a radio check..... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffles View Post
    Nothing to add.

Just making sure my account works...
    10/10 for comedy!

Quote Originally Posted by xyachtdave View Post
    10/10 for comedy!
    Yes, took me a while
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

I used to radio check with our handheld radio, our SSB could only be checked with the Coastguard.

Quote Originally Posted by BelleSerene View Post
    Absolutely. To say one minute that vessels should use Ch67 for routine traffic and the next to reply on Ch16 to requests for a radio check without further comment is silly.
    Solent used to advertise that routine traffic should make the initial call on 67, not going via 16 first. Since the move to Fareham they no longer seem to honour this - I've heard people trying to call direct on 67 and be ignored. Presumably it's because Fareham strictly follow the nationwide procedures, where direct-on-67 was only a local Solent convention.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyknight View Post
    Back in the not too far distant past, I remember a few occasions on really quiet days, whilst sailing serenely in Poole Bay, hearing Portland CG calling Solent CG on Ch16 asking for a radio check..... :-)
    Part of the daily routines, especially if you've had an Arqiva engineer rummaging around in the mouse ridden data cabinet!
    Western Solent's Lifeboat -.http://solent-rescue.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Solent used to advertise that routine traffic should make the initial call on 67, not going via 16 first. Since the move to Fareham they no longer seem to honour this - I've heard people trying to call direct on 67 and be ignored. Presumably it's because Fareham strictly follow the nationwide procedures, where direct-on-67 was only a local Solent convention.
    They were never very good at replying on 67 even before the changes IME.

They did used to say 'routine traffic on 67' when people used 16 for routine traffic, however, they don't seem to do that any more IME.

During the CG 'strike' if people did a radio check 'addressed' to 'any station' Solent CG used to reply which made me chuckle a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    They were never very good at replying on 67 even before the changes IME.

They did used to say 'routine traffic on 67' when people used 16 for routine traffic, however, they don't seem to do that any more IME.

During the CG 'strike' if people did a radio check 'addressed' to 'any station' Solent CG used to reply which made me chuckle a bit.
    Swansea were the best, they came up with the phrase "Due to industrial action we cannot confirm or deny that we have heard your transmission"
    Western Solent's Lifeboat -.http://solent-rescue.org.uk/

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast