Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Balearic Islands law effective from today.

There is a new law to protect the poseidonia sea weed here in the Balearics. Anyone caught anchoring in the sea weed or even the anchor chain touching the weed could face a Ä2000 fine

Default Re: New Balearic Islands law effective from today.

Have you got a link to anything official?

That may explain something I saw last week, I was anchoring in cala fornells in Mallorca at the same time as a 60 ish foot sunseeker, the calvia council rib came round and told the sunseeker he couldnt anchor there, I didn't catch why not. But the council rib didn't stop me (7.5m boat) from anchoring.

I had read that this rule only applies to boats over 12m,which might explain why I wasn't told not to anchor.

Just seen it on the ib3 news.

Quote Originally Posted by aquatom View Post
    There is a new law to protect the poseidonia sea weed here in the Balearics. Anyone caught anchoring in the sea weed or even the anchor chain touching the weed could face a €2000 fine
    They need a BORG but I think have gone along with the fashion not the evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Or perhaps a certain section of the UK boating community in a particular area have decided that if they shout loudly enough it will all go away.
    Vitrolic and personal attacks on the conservation community by more extreme BORG supporters is alienating many.

Translation from Ultima hours today

The Balearic Government has approved this Friday the decree of conservation to protect the 650 square kilometers of posidonia marine that there is in Balearic waters, reason why the islands "become pioneers in Europe" in the safeguard of this marine plant.

In the Balearic Islands is 50% of the posidonia that there is in the Spanish coasts, has stood out this Friday after the Consell of Govern the conseller of Environment, Agriculture and Fishing, VicenÁ Vidal, that has expressed his satisfaction by the approval of this decree which includes sanctions ranging from 100 euros to 2 million.

"Today is a very important day" for the Balearic Islands, for the protection of this endemic seagrass plant of the Mediterranean Sea of ​​an "extraordinary biological" importance with extensive meadows around the Balearic Islands, he said.
    It is the most widespread marine vegetation in coastal waters of the Balearic Islands, which is located between 0 and 35 meters deep and reaches up to 43 meters in the Maritime Terrestrial National Park of the Cabrera Archipelago.

Vidal has reported that, with this decree of protection, the Balearic Islands are "pioneers" in Europe for the fact of guaranteeing the conservation of this plant.

The conseller wanted to review that the autonomous community has since "only two years ago" of an exclusive device for the protection of the posidonea and monitor the anchorages of the ships. "There have never been so many resources for the protection of Posidonia," he claimed.

Prohibitions

The decree prohibits trawling, aggregate removal, dumping of dredged material and uncontrolled anchoring. Likewise, new aquaculture facilities, new subsea outfalls and new works are included in this regime in those cases in which the corresponding environmental processing determines that they may have negative effects on the posidonia.

The use to be made of posidonia remains is also regulated. The withdrawal, possession, transport and use of dead posidonia remains on natural beaches without services is prohibited, with the exception of practices destined to traditional uses and with manual methods.

On the other hand, it can be authorized on natural beaches with services determining the method and extraction zones, according to the environmental and geomorphological characteristics of the place.

As for urban beaches, and for socioeconomic reasons, their withdrawal is allowed following the manual of good practices that includes the same decree.
    On the other hand, the Posidonia Committee, a permanent advisory committee with representation of the administrations and interested sectors that will meet at least once every six months, is created as a collegiate body.

The decree establishes that the conselleria must map the existing posidonia meadows in the Balearic Islands, in accordance with the best available technical and scientific information.

The cartographic delimitations and their cataloging will be incorporated into information systems accessible to navigators and the general public and nautical charts.
    The sanctioning regime is established through the Law for the conservation of spaces of environmental relevance (LECO) and Law 42/2007, of natural heritage and biodiversity.

In the first case, the penalties can be from 100 to 450,000 euros, while the state regulation collects fines of 100 euros to 2 million euros.

On the other hand, the decree also foresees the creation of the Posidonia Fund, which will be nourished by the contributions made by the autonomous community, other administrations, companies, associations, etc., and compensatory measures for actions that affect the habitat and the species .

It also establishes the continuation of the informative and awareness-raising task, in addition to the preparation of a plan to monitor the general condition of the grasslands.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    The Balearic eelgrass is a different variety to Studland having a much longer recovery time from damage however caused.

I was turfed out if Cala ferrera next to Cala Dor 2 days ago.

The most popular Anchorage’s are now empty and mondrago was packed.

There are quite a few clear sandy Cala but also many with weed so they are creating an issue.

Personally I am very sceptical there is any damage done. The extent of weed is identical over the 5 years I have been here. It is not as though we now have sandy bottom Cala as all the weed has gone. Further the extent of weed in the Cala will be a Tiny percentage of the total.

When this all started they put in free bouys.

Then they charged for the bouys

Now most of those bouys have gone. A few bouy fields remain.

To cut of large numbers of Cala and make no alternative available ( for which they will charge ) seems to suggest the overall anti tourist theme in Mallorca now includes boats.

In Croatia there are bouy fields everywhere run by the local bars etc.

There is no fighting the environmental lobby so it is what it is but from my personal point of view of what I actually see in the sea (I am not an expert just someone who does not see weed shrinking ) I am sceptical

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I was turfed out if Cala ferrera next to Cala Dor 2 days ago.

The most popular Anchorageís are now empty and mondrago was packed.

There are quite a few clear sandy Cala but also many with weed so they are creating an issue.

Personally I am very sceptical there is any damage done. The extent of weed is identical over the 5 years I have been here. It is not as though we now have sandy bottom Cala as all the weed has gone. Further the extent of weed in the Cala will be a Tiny percentage of the total.

When this all started they put in free bouys.

Then they charged for the bouys

Now most of those bouys have gone. A few bouy fields remain.

To cut of large numbers of Cala and make no alternative available ( for which they will charge ) seems to suggest the overall anti tourist theme in Mallorca now includes boats.

In Croatia there are bouy fields everywhere run by the local bars etc.

There is no fighting the environmental lobby so it is what it is but from my personal point of view of what I actually see in the sea (I am not an expert just someone who does not see weed shrinking ) I am sceptical
    When they kicked you out did they explain any more about the rules? Like whether it only applies to boats over a certain size etc?

When I was in cala fornells I was anchored in weed (as were many others) but it was only the large sunseeker that got told to move on.

No. He didnít speak English but did say too big. I pointed out I had anchored there many times and we then established it was weed related.

Shame as was my favourite Cala pretty much anywhere.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast