Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: New Balearic Islands law effective from today.

Am I right in thinking that the Navionics charts have been updated to show the anchoring prohibition?

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...ey=_%7BqmFgezG - see Benirras in Ibiza (north of San Antonio) for an example.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the Navionics charts have been updated to show the anchoring prohibition?

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...ey=_%7BqmFgezG - see Benirras in Ibiza (north of San Antonio) for an example.

Pete
    It looks like they have been updated to show the various posidonia related no anchoring restrictions

It seems to me that one can just about cope with the 50m rule above during the day in certain areas but no chance at night. Looking at the list of excluded zones and triangulating with people's experiences above, the capacity to cope with the quantity of boats has been severely restricted especially in the high season. This will for sure drive people away from the Balearics but will likely take a couple of seasons. it is probably easy for the authorities to stomach now as Marinas are jammed full it seems and maybe they want to promote only the day trippers. Note that they also passed laws killing AirBNB and toughened up holiday let laws which reduced capacity last year and thus increased hotel prices etc. My experience during August last year was that Mallorca was empty versus previous years. It was easy to book restaurants and i was able to get into marinas with a day's notice. When i asked around they said this was the effect of the World Cup which i think is nonsense. The Balearics just got too expensive relative to other destinations. We anchored in all the banned places like Benniras, oblivious to the new rules, and didn't get hassled but again I am sure everyone was just winding up their enforcement task forces so I suspect 2019 is going to be challenging. we got checked once in Menorca and the anchor was in sand but touching the weed and the guy was fine and quite reasonable but at the time i rather thought this was just a local thing. As it turns out we are moving East to Sardinia/Corsica but that is quite co incidental. Those now in Sardinia and Corsica may want to firm up their contracts for the long term!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post

Pete
    Looks like the Navionics charts are reflecting the changes outlined in this document http://media.superyachtnews.com/uplo...rafia-2018.pdf
    So, I have just spent some time modifying the images in the above link so that they can be used in charting software.
    I georeferenced each image and overlaid them onto larger scale georeferenced images to create a set of charts specifically for the Posidonia grass.
    I use OpenCPN on the boat, at home and on my mobile devices.

Here are some screen dumps that show what I mean.

Zoomed out to show the whole of the Balearics

Zoomed to show Ibiza

Zoomed in a bit more

Zoomed into Portals Vells

The screen shots show a proper chart on the left and the Posidonia scans on the right.
    Although the Navionics charts are strictly correct, it may be useful to have these scans available as well.
    So, I've georeferenced them so that I can use them quickly if I ever need to.

If anyone is interested, I could make these scanned charts available for free download.
    OpenCPN is also free to download and use.

I honestly feel this will hit Mallorca boating hard.

The place is busy but not completely packed. It is rare to have to head to another anchorage. August is worse yes, but still OK. Mariana availability varies year by year. Last year was not bad, the year before was really tricky.

There is however not that much slack in the system and removing great swaths of what were the most popular anchorages ( Portals Vells, Bongo Bay in Ibiza etc ( no idea of its real name) will simply force people to leave.

Mallorca is at least double the cost of the mainland - sometimes more - and it justifies this by being a boating paradise of clear water, calas etc.

The persist in pumping raw sewage into the sea when there is a downpour ( so much so they have to close the beaches), they are now protecting weed to the exclusion of boats ( there is a lot of weed and it is still there - and the proportion in anchoring areas will be a small percentage) and then also choose to ban apartment rental without a licence ( which you can't get). Bear in mind you won't find many people who know about anchoring who will intentionally anchor up on weed in any event but chain etc will touch it.

No one wants hassle, and Mallorca is rapidly becoming more hassle than it is worth. I have been thinking of leaving for a while - snag is I know loads of people there, marina manager, maintenance etc. I don't have a perm berth so leaving is simple and of course I can always come back.

Like seahorses in Strudland Bay as soon as you mention the environment everyone bows to the pressure. I would never dismiss it, but perhaps providing show based sewage that does not overflow and pump out stations for boats would be a better starting point.

Mallorca hotels are now reducing wholesale rates significantly ( Mallorca Daily Bulletin) so the anti tourist actions are already starting to bite.

I guess we'll know more about the impacts of these various new rules by the end of the season, let's see how it goes.

I've been boating in mallorca since I was a child (35or so years now) and it feels like (but I have no idea if my view is correct, it is just a feeling) it's getting busier and busier every year. However the amount of marina capacity is not really increasing ,except for the recent port Adrian extension, but that really only added capacity for superyachts, so the increase must be from boats whose home port is not on the island, ie visitors.

I think if these restrictions are enforced then it will deter people from visiting, from a purely selfish point of view a reduction in the number of boats would be a good thing for me, but probably not a good thing for the island as a whole.

We’re seriously looking at leaving Mallorca the posidonia regs are just the final straw, the mainland is looking very inviting at the moment the costs are much lower and a change of scenery might be nice after 16 years on the island

I use to have a leaflet about this when we got chased out last year, we also go chased out for using a jet ski in certain areas

they where friendly and advised us to only drop the hook where you can see the sandy bottom, if you do this chances are you will be fine.

https://mixmag.net/read/an-oil-rig-i...set-ibiza-news

And more evidence of the islands environmental credentials. I am sure the weed will be better for it !

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    https://mixmag.net/read/an-oil-rig-i...set-ibiza-news

And more evidence of the islands environmental credentials. I am sure the weed will be better for it !
    Department for Uniting Nature and Commerce for the Environment

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast