Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Default Re: New Balearic Islands law effective from today.

Yep about 17c...surprisingly found a lot of jelly fish, am there next week so will find out how active the Posedonia 'police' are ! Last week came across what appeared to be a large sewage spill in the bay at Son Caliu (near Palma Nova), annoyingly these rarely get publicised....

Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    I was in majorca over the weekend, and whilst the weather was generally poor (what is going on!) Monday was nice so we went out on the boat, didn't see any of the seaweed police, but I guess from the post above they won't start patrolling until next week.
    Did you get your prop / shaft sorted after snagging a line?

Quote Originally Posted by pan View Post
    ...OK to anchor, as long as one stays clear of the sea grass. This is for all boats, regardless of size. ...
    So is this seagrass endangered during the day too nowadays? We'd always thought that it was 'special' due to it being nocturnal:
    A number of years ago we arrived one Sunday morning in a bay near the SE corner of Mallorca, I suspect that it was either Cala d'Or or Porto Petro? and dropped anchor in the south side of it. Through the day there were never less than 20-30 other boats anchored around us, the majority being small motor boats coming out from the nearby marina - it was rough/windy out at sea. Come late afternoon almost everything departed back to its marina berth and it was just on dusk - too late to be heading elsewhere - when a launch (from the marina) circulated the remaining four or five boats, noting their names, nationalities, etc. and explaining that the area was a 'seagrass protection zone' and that we could take a berth at their marina for 100+/night, pick-up one of their 60/night moorings or leave the bay. But this had to be done immediately as anyone still anchored there in 30 minutes time would be reported to the relevant authorities and subject to a heavy fine - I don't recall it being 2000, but it was certainly several hundred.
    Now someone more cynical than I might've thought that the marina were just drumming up business for themselves, whereas we thought that this must be a very special type of nocturnal seagrass that only came out and became subject to damage at night, after all the locals were safely tucked back up in their home berths.
    Hit the road often enough and eventually it will hit you back.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Did you get your prop / shaft sorted after snagging a line?
    Yes I think so, got the boat lifted, props removed and the remaining bits of rope cleared, looks like no damage to the seals or anything else luckily.

Quote Originally Posted by pan View Post
    Yep about 17c...surprisingly found a lot of jelly fish, am there next week so will find out how active the Posedonia 'police' are ! Last week came across what appeared to be a large sewage spill in the bay at Son Caliu (near Palma Nova), annoyingly these rarely get publicised....
    17c!! Am sure it is usually over 20c by now. Cannot believe they are concerned by anchors on seagrass when they dump raw sewage. Not heard of a spill their before, always thought it was in/around Palma. Guess I will find out myself over next few weeks what areas are being policed.
    Last edited by TonyR123; 29-05-19 at 07:55.

The weather in Mallorca has beed crap. Just got back. Heavy rain Friday and Saturday.

When it rains the sewage system can't cope and it dumps into the sea.

I agree the grass thing is nuts.

No posedonia police today at portal vells. Water bloody cold though at 17.

Just adding info from yachtie friends who have been cruising the islands for the last couple of weeks.
    No weed police seen.
    This was the last report from a friend this morning from Ibiza

Mike, we haven’t seen any Posidonia weed police about, well maybe one girl in a rib but I wasn’t quite sure so far we haven’t been anchoring in any weedy Carla’s so sorry I can’t report back yet but I will keep a eye out.

Interestingly, this friend has just spent the last couple of days in Roig which is covered by red and yellow areas on the map.

Weed police in Cala gran next to Cala Dor about 30 min ago. I see them every time

Black rib with Vigilante down the side. Very 007 !

So after almost a year since the authorities introduced this law and have also policed it quite aggressively at least as reported in certain areas, has the volume of boats visiting decreased, and as a consequence have the local restaurants and bars seen lower custom and takings ?
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast