Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: New Balearic Islands law effective from today.

I am currently in portals vels. Most popular Palma anchorage

I would not say it is weedy. The sea bed is not always bright blue! However put on a mask and it is 50% weed 50% sand ( well the bit is am over at this second is ) so where do you stop.

Most areas have some weed. A pure sandy Cala is the exception not the norm.

Also Is all weed Poseidon or just some of it ? I donít know

Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    hmm, this could be a big problem, If they start doing this everywhere it will kill boating in the balearics.

I have read somewhere that it applies to boats over 12m, but its prob only a matter of time until they start to lower that size limit.

Time to come up with an innovative solution for 'anchoring' boats without digging something into the ground.....
    Mercury Skyhook

Hi Jrudge. We were in Vells for much of last week. It seems that at present, just being careful where you drop your anchor is what they are watching around the island. It's ok if your chain lays over the poseidonia just ensure that your anchor is on sand and doesn't drag when lifted. That is why one boat may be spoken to and not another anchored close by. I have heard Vells will have 20 buoys next season and boats will be limited to that.

There is info here (in spanish) and pdf on the site explaining why conservation of the weed is important. http://www.balearslifeposidonia.eu/index.php

Interesting as I also got told to move in Vells a few weeks back. Since then I have tried to anchor over sand and it can be done in vells if you anchor on the south side or in the middle. Vells was def not empty last time I was there (Monday) and a 100ft+ boat anchored where I got told to move the previous week. When told to move I was given a leaflet.

There are plenty of sandy spots between poseidonia all across Vells (we were also there on monday). It's crazy busy and it seems to be pretty law-less with not much common sense when it comes to anchoring. We got there for 9am and it was perfect, anchoring close to the restaurant beach with only a handful of yachts in the bay. Getting in close early on does come with challenges when wanting to leave mid afternoon after the wind has changed direction though.

I might have to start getting up early to get an anchoring spot if they're going to limit you to anchoring in sand only.

The limit is already in place. Sand only for the anchor or risk a fine. Morning and evening are the best times on the water anyways

Quote Originally Posted by PalmaTarga View Post
    The limit is already in place. Sand only for the anchor or risk a fine. Morning and evening are the best times on the water anyways
    They must have only started enforcing this this summer, I've been boating in Mallorca for something like 25-30 years and have never been moved on because of anchoring in the weed.

We are new to the area which may be why we have been informed by the broker etc. You are correct, it's new this year.

More info at http://www.caib.es/sites/cuidamposid...cia/?campa=yes (spanish only)

Quote Originally Posted by PalmaTarga View Post
    We are new to the area which may be why we have been informed by the broker etc. You are correct, it's new this year.

More info at http://www.caib.es/sites/cuidamposid...cia/?campa=yes (spanish only)
    Thanks for that link. From that link it has maps where they say the posidonia is, but the places were talking about on this thread , IE portals vells,cala fornells etc are not shown as an area of posidonia on those maps.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast