Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Default Re: New Balearic Islands law effective from today.

I now ensure I anchor over sand but like others said almost impossible to ensure that the chain does not touch any weed.

Wonder how they will police the 100m+ boats that anchor just outside the main ports? Few of those last time just outside portals and palmanova anchored in less than 20m of water.

Hopefully they'll only attempt to enforce it this summer,and next year it will be quietly dropped.

We have a late season cruise planned so we will see if they are as keen on Sept/Oct as they are now.
    I'll report my findings back here.

In Ibiza there are now a number of “Posidonia Watch” ribs that are monitoring anchorages and moving any boats not anchored in sand. Certainly in July/August there are huge numbers of boats at anchorage now especially in the South of the island and in Formentera so it is going to get harder to find a spot to spend the days/days.
    I’m not totally convinced about the posidonia and clean water argument as some of the clearest, cleanest water you will find in Europe is in parts of Formentera that are clear of posidonia, such as Es Calo and Cala Saona - but who knows?
    Three things - boaters, especially motor boaters, bring huge amounts of income to Ibiza both directly and indirectly and if they move away that income will be lost.
    Secondly, if they don’t want boats anchoring in posidonia, provide free bouys instead of charging for them, and make more available
    Thirdly, whilst it is motor boats that seem to attract most of the negative press, it is the volume of yachts in Ibiza and Formentera , spending long periods of time anchored in spots such as Espalmador, Salinas, Benirras etc that are as much of an issue.
    Ibiza and Formentera are fabulous places to explore by boat, which is why they are so popular, and it is still possible to find beautiful , quiet spots especially in the North and North West of Ibiza

This is a real issue. In mondrego today. Packed. Other places. Empty. Poseidon patrols here.

Port Collom. Big sign. No anchoring due to Poseidon. It is the most sheltered anchorage here.

I have been looking to move for a whilst and to be honest this probably pushes me over.

The anchorages have always been busy. Not crowded. It is now getting silly

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    This is a real issue. In mondrego today. Packed. Other places. Empty. Poseidon patrols here.

Port Collom. Big sign. No anchoring due to Poseidon. It is the most sheltered anchorage here.

I have been looking to move for a whilst and to be honest this probably pushes me over.

Are they applying the rule to all boats regardless of size? I saw something that implied the restrictions only applied to boats over 12m long,but not sure whether that restriction is still valid with this latest development.

We're back in Majorca at the end of August,will be interested to see if I (7.5m boat) get moved on by the patrols, in July we were allowed to stay whilst the bigger boats got moved on.
    Last edited by julians; 07-08-18 at 11:30.

July/August last year in Ibiza was very crowded - even without the patrols.
    So, this year, I have given the islands a miss for those months.
    Instead enjoying the local Fiestas and the ability to "plug in" and switch on the A/C.
    We went out on the lagoon yesterday - no Poseidon patrols here.
    Cool breeze but even that was hot so we were back on our home berth last night with the A/C.
    Then this morning some Aquaerobics in the pool to keep cool.
    Weather should be cooling off again now.
    Sorry - thread drift.

Please keep the Poseidon Patrol reports coming.

Where to though? Could you be joining the Antibes crew?

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    They need a BORG but I think have gone along with the fashion not the evidence.
    Or perhaps a certain section of the UK boating community in a particular area have decided that if they shout loudly enough it will all go away.
    Vitrolic and personal attacks on the conservation community by more extreme BORG supporters is alienating many.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Where to though? Could you be joining the Antibes crew?
    No. I have had a plan for 2 years that for personal reasons I could not act on

That is Sardinia, Corsica , Elba ending up on Pisa for the winter and then on south.

I like Mallorca and breaking my attachment is tricky but I suspect next June we will be on our way.

I either want stress free or adventure. Not no adventure and stress / agro and with the general tone being against tourists which has now switched to boaters I think it is now time to move on.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast