Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Default Re: New Balearic Islands law effective from today.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Meanwhile there are no pump out stations
    A little off topic,but you can pump out at the fuel quay in port Adriano if required.

Interestingly there are other reports in the local papers about 'accidental' raw sewage discharges from onshore facilities around the shores of Mallorca this summer, presumably if these occur then it can only be assumed there are chemical discharges as well, I am not a marine biologist but it seems logical that chemicals will have more effect than anchors or chain.

At present it's very much the 'fashion' in Mallorca political circles to 'top trump' one another in what they term tourist 'massification', the posedonia issue is another populist 'vote winner', generally negatively affects wealthy non local voters and attracts the local eco vote, even if there is little science or objective consideration of all the factors.

However it's very interesting to see that the Minister of Environment has actually come out & said that these 'patrols' are intended to educate rather than punish 'offenders', this is the first time I have seen the policy openly laid out, perhaps the marine industry has finally 'educated' them to the potential effects to their economy & jobs!

Frankly I would always look to anchor in sand anyway, I am not looking to rip up seaweed, but in tight anchorages it's impossible to guarantee the chain would not drag in Posedonia, you would need to ensure there is no seaweed within a 50m radius when anchoring in 10m, in summer you would never find any bay where you can guarantee that.

And here are the 2019 Balearic anchorage restricrions.

http://www.superyachtnews.com/crew/c...k-Id90CjDyWcSU

Looks like no Portals Vells this year.

PalmaTarga - thanks for posting. What a joke. You would have thought at the very least they would have buoys to tie up to. Ibiza looks to have the majority of restrictions.

What are the actual rules?

Is it no anchoring in those areas at all?

Or

No anchoring in weed in those areas?

Or
    No anchoring in weed if you are over a certain length?

Etc etc

Article states "The rules affect all vessels, no matter how small the boat.". I would assume the whole area is a no go. Quite a lot of sand in Vells but it is all 'orange'. Looking at the PDF other places of restriction seem very specific so can only assume this is as well.

Yep upon reading the article again it does state no anchoring at all regardless of size in those marked zones.

I presume they will be placing buoys in those areas, but that there will be a daily charge to use them.

This will completely knacker the restaurants in portals vells I reckon.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about the restaurants. Good point on buoys as it was mentioned before they are supposed to be putting them in vells.

Joy. Another own goal like Matriculation tax I suspect.

So does that mean we will be left alone on the rest of the Island. If so this is a good thing .... if ...

No one intentionally seeks to anchor on weed as the holding is not as good, however Mallorca is in season busy and where the weed is is not always obvious unless you are at the right angle and it is sunny. Night time, over cast - you prob see it at all.

Bear in mind I had the weed police at 10pm knock on the boat having looked underwater their their viewing device and a torch. My anchor was on sand but the chain was on the edge of weed. Boats swing. I typically use I guess 30m in an " average" anchorage" so I am now looking for a free patch of sand that is roughly 50m across. and then to anchor in the middle of it - which might not be possible given the swing of other boats ... so this has little to do with a will not to anchor on weed, but the practicality of what they are suggesting in one of the worlds more expensive boating locations.

All round Cala Dor ( popular forum haunt) is not listed on that document, but was heavily enforced las year. There are not that many bays with the required 50m free sand patches which to all practical purposes unless in shallow water in a small boat makes them off limits.

When this all started the Poseidon Bouys were free ... then the charged, then they removed most of them - lets see what happens this year.
    Last edited by jrudge; 08-02-19 at 09:13.

It's first time I have seen the actual mapping of the areas, as Jrudge says, they were 'enforcing' last summer, so I am not sure whether the article is correct is saying 'no anchoring' in yellow zones, last summer they were allowing anchoring (& chain) in Portals Vells in sand. The article says it is based on a Decret July 2018, so this was in force after that, the map shows 'red' areas as 'high value' & 'yellow' as 'to restore Posidonia', NOT that anchoring prohibited...

Perhaps other forum member(s) have seen the actual associated decret that details what these zones restrictions are?

Don't think we should all be re-locating (yet) based on a journalist's interpretation, they have been known to 'exagerate'..

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast