Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Comet Yachts safety Bulletin

Scary reading for owners of (and crew on) the affected type of Comar Comet yachts. Looks impossible to assess if the keel is safe, even by dropping the keel (when ashore in a boatyard, for clarity!)
    To be certain of safety looks like might have to remove and recast all or some of the lead keel, incorporating revised keel bolts. And builder now gone so all at owners expense.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    To be certain of safety looks like might have to remove and recast all or some of the lead keel, incorporating revised keel bolts. And builder now gone so all at owners expense.
    Agreed, in the absence of which the affected vessels will be functionally unsaleable. Even the unaffected ones are likely to suffer a big hit owing to an unresolveable uncertainty problem.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Yikes. What an expletive deleted silly design!

One wonders how many other very silly ideas have occurred to the makers of other production yachts, as the role of the structural engineer has been cut back in favour of the interior designer.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Agreed, in the absence of which the affected vessels will be functionally unsaleable. Even the unaffected ones are likely to suffer a big hit owing to an unresolveable uncertainty problem.
    How much for a new keel???

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    How much for a new keel???
    That's the question isn't it as the original design is idiotically uncheckable. if I was to hazard a guess, probably about £20-25k for fabrication, around £5k for design. with boatyard costs on top.

Even then, there is bound to be a value hit as prospective purchasers will likely require independent examination and verification. Ditto insurance companies.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    That's the question isn't it as the original design is idiotically uncheckable. if I was to hazard a guess, probably about £20-25k for fabrication, around £5k for design. with boatyard costs on top.

Even then, there is bound to be a value hit as prospective purchasers will likely require independent examination and verification. Ditto insurance companies.
    It’s a business opportunity for someone....

Engage with multiple owners... bring their old keeps back to a central point, melt em down and recast with a new properly welded top plate... ship back reattach.

I get a warm glow reading about the performance of St Barbara V's crew. It's nice to know people like that are out there.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    I get a warm glow reading about the performance of St Barbara V's crew. It's nice to know people like that are out there.
    + 100
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

I read the report, thanks for the link.

I must be thick but i cannot figure out what bit failed? There were stainless rods through a plate, that were welded on one side only. Did the rods snap? Seems odd as the rods went through the plate? Or what have i missed? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bikedaft View Post
    I read the report, thanks for the link.

I must be thick but i cannot figure out what bit failed? There were stainless rods through a plate, that were welded on one side only. Did the rods snap? Seems odd as the rods went through the plate? Or what have i missed? Thanks!

You're right, the MAIB's summary advice link is indeed confusing.

Follow this link to its main report and all will become clear:
    https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/keel...yger-of-london

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast