Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Wife loves boats but hates sailing

We bought a new yacht last year, my toy for sure but wed enjoyed lots of sailing holidays. The reality now dawns is after that my lovely wife loves the whole boating thing but hates actually sailing so were thinking of swapping to power.

Question is, what. Will have to be used I cant afford a new one that meets my needs. About 40-45. Budget is max 200k. Coastal UK and cross channel usage. Space and comfort for two, outdoor lounging space, plus occasional guests the priority. Probably not full displacement so a semi D maybe like the Elling E3.

Ideas and commiserations welcome, thank you.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Default Re: Wife loves boats but hates sailing

E3 is a fine choice but its all about the downstairs living....e4 a little better.
    What about this from the leftfield:
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...g#.W2HvaqTTXDs

Our a nice trader 42 could be good....

All imho of course.

As an ex owner of a Trader 42 I can confirm that it is a great boat for a couple. The aft cabin is enormous and unlike the Elling the saloon is high in the boat with great outside views. Super sea boat that will not let you down. Cummins engines are reliable and efficient and all will have most of the add ons that many others regard as optional extras. Might be a bit of a step to find one advertised within your budget but real selling prices are a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by IDAMAY View Post
    As an ex owner of a Trader 42 I can confirm that it is a great boat for a couple. The aft cabin is enormous and unlike the Elling the saloon is high in the boat with great outside views. Super sea boat that will not let you down. Cummins engines are reliable and efficient and all will have most of the add ons that many others regard as optional extras. Might be a bit of a step to find one advertised within your budget but real selling prices are a different matter.
    I was thinking of Ocean Star in my response Richard. Lovely couple boat as you say and built very well I believe....

Graham,

I would take your Bavaria back to the dealer and see what he can do as a trade against a power boat probably from Bavaria that they will have on their books as a stock boat. Last year we went from sail to power and now have a Bavaria 37 HT that we love.

Truth tell my wife stuck out sailing for me, but finally said enough is enough.

With Southampton and Cannes boat shows just around the corner, someone will be doing a deal/trade.
    Last edited by mcanderson; 01-08-18 at 18:23.

I d pin down why she hates sailing...is a pretty slow mobo much of an improvement? Main point IMHO of a POWER boat is that you don't spend hours and hours in a small space at sea,but get to your destination, and enjoy.
    Not for all I know, but given your situation I think I would like to be a bit more sure,second purchase!
    Solent to Yarmouth in a slow boat... a few hours.. Solent to CIs in a fast boat... a few hours....not sure what your wife is looking for !

how far do you typically want to go annually (mileage), how fast do you want to get there?
    how long is Mrs Scala happy out at sea and staying on board?

If it was up to me I would buy a 50' Halberg Rassey and be halfway to Hawaii by now.
    Mrs A is happy for @ 3 - 4 hours cruising as long as the shops are open when we arrive, and no more than 4 nights in a row aboard.
    I keep mentioning Fleming but its not happening, despite red soled shoes- any suggestions short of divorce?
    Last edited by kashurst; 01-08-18 at 19:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    We bought a new yacht last year, my toy for sure but we’d enjoyed lots of sailing holidays. The reality now dawns is after that my lovely wife loves the whole boating thing but hates actually sailing so we’re thinking of swapping to power.

Question is, what. Will have to be used I can’t afford a new one that meets my needs. About 40-45’. Budget is max 200k. Coastal UK and cross channel usage. Space and comfort for two, outdoor lounging space, plus occasional guests the priority. Probably not full displacement so a semi D maybe like the Elling E3.

Ideas and commiserations welcome, thank you.
    Cheaper to change wife.

To answer the various questions, she hates heeling. Being at the mercy of wind. Having lots of string . Going the wrong way to go somewhere. Deep draft. Constantly adjusting things, not that she does any of that stuff...!

That said she's fine with taking time to get places.

We've done 60 mile passages, and 10 mile ones, both ok.

The ask is about the predictability of power, I think.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Look up Superheat he can tell you all about a Corvette 420 he is selling

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast