Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wife loves boats but hates sailing

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    Cheaper to change wife.
    Not mine, I’ve spent a fortune in upgrades and enhancements - I sometimes sit in the marina looking at newer models but the cost to change would be huge and the current one knows exactly how I like my tea

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelpickin View Post
    Not mine, I’ve spent a fortune in upgrades and enhancements - I sometimes sit in the marina looking at newer models but the cost to change would be huge and the current one knows exactly how I like my tea
    FPMSL, that made me laugh.

Other "requirements" are emerging...

Not wants... a project at all. Has to be retail perfect. Not a cat. Not a flybridge.

Wants... bit of style. Easy to park, haha like any boat.... .Big cockpit or open seating area. Island berth. 2 bathrooms. Stable at sea so no rock and roll Nelson hulls etc.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Pretty much all D and SD boats will roll in beam seas unless fitted with stabilisers. Very few, if any, boats around the 40 foot mark will have stabilisers as OE and retrofit is likely to break your budget pretty quickly. We part solved the problem with the Trader 42 by upping the speed in beam conditions. This gave extra dynamic stability at the cost of greatly increased fuel consumption. Anywhere near max speed the fuel consumption instrumentation got quite frightening!

We finally solved the problem by changing to the Trader 54 you see in the avatar. She is fitted with ABT Trac stabilisers and they are amazingly effective and mean we cruise around 8 kts almost all the time at reasonable fuel consumption levels and with no heel and almost never roll.

Quote Originally Posted by gjgm View Post
    I d pin down why she hates sailing...is a pretty slow mobo much of an improvement? Main point IMHO of a POWER boat is that you don't spend hours and hours in a small space at sea,but get to your destination, and enjoy.
    Not for all I know, but given your situation I think I would like to be a bit more sure,second purchase!
    Solent to Yarmouth in a slow boat... a few hours.. Solent to CIs in a fast boat... a few hours....not sure what your wife is looking for !
    +1

Also depends on your cruising area. A mobo underway in any kind of sea is gives nowhere near as comfy a ride as a yacht under sail. She might suffer a degree of sea sickness below in a mobo rolling and pitching on all three axis instead of the stability canvas gives to the gentler motion of a yacht. Not a problem for mobo in very settled weather but a in one way a yacht gives a much wider weather window for passage making and refuelling obviously less of an issue (i.e. there will be conditions you'd be happy to make a passage under sail that you might not wish to undertake on a mobo). If you do go mobo you need on occasion to be able to cruise on the plane to make the passage motion more comfy for pax
    Ocean Froggie

Interestingly SWMBO bucks the trend on here. Having sold our mobo last year and having done a bit of sailing on charters over the years she is really quite keen on a yacht.... in the Med. Actually wants to do more on passage and thinks that a mobo is getting a bit boring despite shorter passage times. She actually enjoys sailing!

That said, this is probably something down the road when we retire and can spend time in the Med so in the meantime we have, today, agreed a deal on a sports cruiser!

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Other "requirements" are emerging...

Not wants... a project at all. Has to be retail perfect. Not a cat. Not a flybridge.

Wants... bit of style. Easy to park, haha like any boat.... .Big cockpit or open seating area. Island berth. 2 bathrooms. Stable at sea so no rock and roll Nelson hulls etc.
    Sounds like you are going to end up with a sports cruiser. Go to SIBS or Cannes and look at the 12-14m range from all the big builders and you will be surprised with the amount of space and luxury you will get.

We went from a 10m sail boat to a 12 m sports cruiser and have so much more usable space it is still amazing.

Happy to discuss via the phone if you want some more on the path we followed.

're passage making..I am not sure it doesn't even out...a mobo can wait for suitable conditions as the passage takes less time and a yacht is rather more stuck with it.
    A faster mobo also opens your options more in one way...You can be in the West county in some hours for example.
    Personally, coastal passages are ok, open sea is deadly dull IMHO..15 hours of that to get anywhere?Not for me!

We are doing SIBS for sure. I get the point about passage speeds especially for a planing boat, and we’ve no interest in long legs, so that’s ok I think. Sports cruiser may be better options than semi D if the accommodation is there, we’ll take a good look at some examples I think.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Ask some forumites on here to take you both out for a few hours b4 you spend your money.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast