Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wife loves boats but hates sailing

Quote Originally Posted by gjgm View Post
    're passage making..I am not sure it doesn't even out...a mobo can wait for suitable conditions as the passage takes less time and a yacht is rather more stuck with it.
    A faster mobo also opens your options more in one way...You can be in the West county in some hours for example. Personally, coastal passages are ok, open sea is deadly dull IMHO..15 hours of that to get anywhere?Not for me!
    It's a two sided coin. Mobo can splash and dash to beat a narrower weather window for sea state comfort, but a yacht more often doesn't need to (i.e. can stay out), and ironically while moving slower can achieve more cruise distance in less elapsed days and therefore be faster, not to mention more comfort in F4+ conditions. Whereas a mobo may have to hole up for shelter for a day or two.
    Last edited by oceanfroggie; 02-08-18 at 11:45.
    Ocean Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    Ask some forumites on here to take you both out for a few hours b4 you spend your money.
    p

thats a good idea. I also would try a charter with some mobo handling training.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Quote Originally Posted by gordmac View Post
    well it maybe very capable but totally misses the style test for me sorry. Looks like it only has minimal outside space too. So prob not.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Quote Originally Posted by oceanfroggie View Post
    It's a two sided coin. Mobo can splash and dash to beat a narrower weather window for sea state comfort, but a yacht more often doesn't need to (i.e. can stay out), and ironically while moving slower can achieve more cruise distance in less elapsed days and therefore be faster, not to mention more comfort in F4+ conditions. Whereas a mobo may have to hole up for shelter for a day or two.
    I read a book covering this exact theory:

http://www.storyarts.org/library/aes.../tortoise.html

I was really impressed with these at both Cannes and LIBS https://www.bavariayachts.com/en-uk/...ht/highlights/

You need speed and seakeeping a wave cruncher not a take off and fly planing boat that slams a in a ripple .
    You also need the accoutrements to luxuary and easy living on board ,stuff like a geny , Aircon , nice all electric galley walk in shower etc .
    Some of the older late 90, s Sunseekers like camargue 44 or 50 are within budget .
    Also take a look a Riva Tropicana 43 , Baia one or Flash 48 .

Buying a bumpy flat bottomed unbalanced budget sports crusier although a mobo will kill her boating ambitions on your first encounter with anything other than a mild chop .

Having speed and the ability to carry that speed in more than chop means basically it over faster if you want .This ability will give her the confidence that’s currently lacking to go boating .
    Last edited by Portofino; 03-08-18 at 17:02.

Quote Originally Posted by gjgm View Post
    I d pin down why she hates sailing...is a pretty slow mobo much of an improvement? Main point IMHO of a POWER boat is that you don't spend hours and hours in a small space at sea,but get to your destination, and enjoy.
    Not for all I know, but given your situation I think I would like to be a bit more sure,second purchase!
    Solent to Yarmouth in a slow boat... a few hours.. Solent to CIs in a fast boat... a few hours....not sure what your wife is looking for !
    I am told a lot of women hate sailing because of the heeling. We have had two sailing boats, and I got fed up with trying to sail upright (I know that's the fastest way). My wife was reasonably happy sailing downwind, but the moment the boat heeled in an upwind situation, she was convinced it was going to go over. In the end, she was so reluctant to go out on the boat, we decided to switch back to power, and she's happy now, regardless of the sea state, though any rocking from side to side (see Red Jet wash) still makes her uneasy.

Hi Scala

If you don't mind me asking how do you feel about the change from sail to power and going from a new boat to a second hand one

Is she totally against sailing Cats as they seem to fit most of her wants and you can always drop the sails and motor when the wind dies or is blowing from the direction you want to go

Regards Don
    Last edited by Don107; 04-08-18 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    We are doing SIBS for sure. I get the point about passage speeds especially for a planing boat, and we’ve no interest in long legs, so that’s ok I think. Sports cruiser may be better options than semi D if the accommodation is there, we’ll take a good look at some examples I think.
    we went to sibs last year looking for boats the trouble is a lot of new boats will be way over your budget and if they have ips the space will spoil you when you look at boats in budget ,we went around the sibs second hand shows first,good luck

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast