Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Wife loves boats but hates sailing

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    p

thats a good idea. I also would try a charter with some mobo handling training.
    if you get enough peeps take you out ,you wont want a new boat

Quote Originally Posted by nicho View Post
    I am told a lot of women hate sailing because of the heeling. We have had two sailing boats, and I got fed up with trying to sail upright (I know that's the fastest way). My wife was reasonably happy sailing downwind, but the moment the boat heeled in an upwind situation, she was convinced it was going to go over. In the end, she was so reluctant to go out on the boat, we decided to switch back to power, and she's happy now, regardless of the sea state, though any rocking from side to side (see Red Jet wash) still makes her uneasy.
    That's it in one. A perfect synopsis....!
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Quote Originally Posted by Don107 View Post
    Hi Scala

If you don't mind me asking how do you feel about the change from sail to power and going from a new boat to a second hand one

Is she totally against sailing Cats as they seem to fit most of her wants and you can always drop the sails and motor when the wind dies or is blowing from the direction you want to go

Regards Don
    Hi Don

Well, I'm OK with looking into it but unsure at the moment about the reality.... "Happy Wife Easy Life" is how I'm looking at it at the moment.

I'm OK with buying a mobo, I can always keep a dinghy for a sailing fix. more concerned about having to buy what might be quite an old boat, due to budget whereas we could "afford" to buy a new yacht that (I thought) met our needs.

Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    we went to sibs last year looking for boats the trouble is a lot of new boats will be way over your budget and if they have ips the space will spoil you when you look at boats in budget ,we went around the sibs second hand shows first, good luck
    Yes that's right. A new mobo for 200k will be unlikely to be the right size for us. Good idea about the S/H show.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    You need speed and seakeeping a wave cruncher not a take off and fly planing boat that slams a in a ripple .
    You also need the accoutrements to luxuary and easy living on board ,stuff like a geny , Aircon , nice all electric galley walk in shower etc .
    Some of the older late 90, s Sunseekers like camargue 44 or 50 are within budget .
    Also take a look a Riva Tropicana 43 , Baia one or Flash 48 .

Buying a bumpy flat bottomed unbalanced budget sports crusier although a mobo will kill her boating ambitions on your first encounter with anything other than a mild chop .

Having speed and the ability to carry that speed in more than chop means basically it over faster if you want .This ability will give her the confidence that’s currently lacking to go boating .
    Hi, thanks for these thoughts, the point about the seakeeping / ride is spot on. I'm not a fan of older used mechanical things (cars or boats or whatever), so it's going to be a big jump to consider something that's 20 years old. Upping the budget will require a lottery win so that's a total non starter, unfortunately.

OK, home from my cruise now so a bit of intensive browsing has thrown this up:

Targa 44 GT
    http://www.boats.co.uk/boats-for-sal...44-gt-ips-1044

OK this one is sold but it looks good on paper (screen), ticks a lot of the boxes in terms of style and accommodation. Offered at 225k so with a bit of compromise on each side it might be doable.

Showing us under offer so, if you moved quickly congratulations! If not good luck hunting.

Targa 44 GT

OK this one is sold but it looks good on paper (screen), ticks a lot of the boxes in terms of style and accommodation. Offered at 225k so with a bit of compromise on each side it might be doable.
    Is that boat at gosport premier marina? If it's the one I'm thinking of it's a lovely boat

Targa 44 GT

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    Showing us under offer so, if you moved quickly congratulations! If not good luck hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelz View Post
    Is that boat at gosport premier marina? If it's the one I'm thinking of it's a lovely boat
    No, not me, that would be some shift. I found it as an example of what might work. Looks good. Spec looks good. Price is err, doable. Seems to be a bit of love for various Targa models and little to dislike - interested to know what people think of (a) the model range generally, (b) the engine options and (c) IPS. I understand that there are the maintenance costs to factor in.

Boats.co.uk seem universally well respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    You need speed and seakeeping a wave cruncher not a take off and fly planing boat that slams a in a ripple .
    You also need the accoutrements to luxuary and easy living on board ,stuff like a geny , Aircon , nice all electric galley walk in shower etc .
    Some of the older late 90, s Sunseekers like camargue 44 or 50 are within budget .
    Also take a look a Riva Tropicana 43 , Baia one or Flash 48 .

Buying a bumpy flat bottomed unbalanced budget sports crusier although a mobo will kill her boating ambitions on your first encounter with anything other than a mild chop .

Having speed and the ability to carry that speed in more than chop means basically it over faster if you want .This ability will give her the confidence that’s currently lacking to go boating .
    Well, resurrecting my own thread after a very bumpy and uncomfortable weekend in the Solent.... I now think my wife is now completely done with sailing in anything other than a flat calm-to-force-2, balmy, warm day. Attempting to compare it to childbirth was probably a mistake ("the joy of the good bits will be remembered long after the pain of the passage is forgotten"). Oops.

The Solent chop was its usual self, not helped by the F6 on Monday. Arriving at Swanwick on Monday we were greeted by a couple on a 40' motor boat who thought we were mad to have been out. So my question to owners of 40-50' mobos whose cruising area includes the S coast, and the Solent in particular, is this. Appreciate that views will differ, but I'd like to understand a bit more about how the weather, wind-over-tide, short choppy seas etc, curtail your cruising? How well does your own boat cope?

Thanks for any comment.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast