Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default replacing a washboard.

my padlock was rusted solid, so I forced the lock, the hasp ripping out of the washboard.
    I now have the washboard as a template, can I take it to any joiners? are there speicalists in marine ply? Or perhaps I could get an acrylic one done while I'm at it. Where would one get that done? looking near benfleet in essex for either. Oh and is it easy to put a hasp in an acrylic washboard for locking it up again?
    Thanks.

Default Re: replacing a washboard.

Acrylic will let some light in. Google should find someone to supply it. It's as easy to drill etc as wood, just go slowly or it'll melt.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

For acrylic look for a local signmaker who will be able to cut and machine to your template.Otherwise plenty of on line suppliers who will do the same. Drilling holes for hasp not difficult, but could ask the supplier to do it.

Making out of ply is more work as ideally you need to edge the ply with hardwood and you may find you have to buy a 1/4 sheet as minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    For acrylic look for a local signmaker who will be able to cut and machine to your template.Otherwise plenty of on line suppliers who will do the same. Drilling holes for hasp not difficult, but could ask the supplier to do it.

Making out of ply is more work as ideally you need to edge the ply with hardwood and you may find you have to buy a 1/4 sheet as minimum.
    If its for the Longbow then the original wasn't

People who make shop signs often sell the acryllic or polycarb sheet, might even shape it for you.
    Or you can buy it on ebay etc.
    IF you make a new wooden washboard, keep the old one and reinforce it, then use it over winter while you varnish the new one.
    Our winter washboard has more louvres in it, would be not much use offshore I suspect.

Letting light in is good sometimes, but not always. Sometimes it's good to shut the world out after a night sail. Less of an issue in Keswick perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    If its for the Longbow then the original wasn't
    It's for the bradwell 18 vic

I had to make a new washboard after some thieves helpfully threw them away. Out of all the inconveniencies of having a boat burgled, this was the thing that irked the most. I found making the washboard a lot more work than I thought it would be. The angles and size was critical and even now it jams at the bottom for some reason. On mine, the bottom edge of the washboard should be angled such that it overlaps the bottom washboard so it doesn't leak. Getting this right was a right pain.

If you have the original then draw round it accurately and get someone to make it. I found getting decent wood for such a small thing difficult, to the point that the new one has started to disintegrate already, so Perspex may be a better option. Take it easy drilling it, as it can crack. Use bolts for the clasp rather than screws, it's possible to tap Perspex, but if it were me I would use rivnuts on the back sunk into the plastic.

If you can get into your boat merely by yanking out the clasp, then presumably anyone can. I use a stainless latch lock that is recessed rather than a padlock, they can rust dontcha know.

I made replacement washboards several years ago and fitted a cam lock, which is deliberately the weak point in the boat. My reasoning is that nothing I'm going to do will keep a determined thief out and I'd far rather they do minimal damage getting in to find nothing worth stealing (my instruments, such as they are, unplug and come home with me when we leave the boat), rather than take an angle grinder to everything and, effectively, write the boat off.

I also built in ventilation, with holes drilled through the top washboard near the top and a cover overlapping them on the outside.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

I made some washboards, and thought I could get away with using exterior ply, rather than marine ply. I didn't get away with it.

I made a set for my leisure 27 recently. My advice is to lip the exposed plywood edge with timber to protect the ply and help stop delaminating
    Last edited by Teko; 08-08-18 at 15:35. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast