Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Dressing overall

If you want to go one better than everyone else, the ‘proper’ order of dress is: E,Q,3,G,8,Z,4,W,6,P,1,I,Code,T,Y,B,X,1st sub, H,3rd sub,D,F,2nd sub,U,A,O,M,R,2,J,0,N,9,K,7,V,5,L,,C,S.
    But I wonder how many can read them anyway.

Pete,

I think ships whose Captain is pilot - rated - like ferries which makes sense with them coming and going all the time - fly ' H ' horizontally.

Like most people if a ship was bothering me I'd be doing my best to keep out of her way - how they manage in the Solent or anywhere is a mystery to me though the ' G-Captain ' site shows a few accidents; unless it was a warship flying a battle ensign coming straight at me ( yes had that, a 1980's German ) I think I'd rely on the VHF or just keeping clear rather than a flag some 17yr old midshipman has put up which may well say ' Soup of the day ' - actually I do know the code flags but don't expect anyone else to nowadays.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I think ships whose Captain is pilot - rated - like ferries which makes sense with them coming and going all the time - fly ' H ' horizontally.
    Makes sense. The Southampton VTS page on PECs says they should fly "the appropriate flag" - though it doesn't specify what that actually is!

Fortunately I assume Southampton sees relatively few Polish-flagged vessels

Pete

Like SeaJet I do know the code flags, but have never used them in anger and canít recall the last time I saw another vessel using them. I also have to admit I still get very confused over the sequence of using the substitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    You can buy complete sets of actual signal flags in chandleries, as well as singles of the commonly used ones like Q. You can also buy ready-made dressing-overall sets with the signals sewn permanently onto a strip of tape so all the issues of toggles and downhauls don't arise. Instead you get the problem of half the flags being upside down if you run a single such strip over your masthead and back down.
    Only have a Q so far as no divers or pilots on board but thanks for info . I had hoped you might find sets at boat jumbles or suchlike eBay sites .
    Pete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12