Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Through the Corryvreckan....

Many years ago a friend and I were set down on Scarba to do just that. Slogged up the hill and pitched camp in the pelting rain. Woken the next morning by a thunderous roar. Poked our heads out - and saw precisely nothing. The thickest fog I've ever come across on the West Coast. I've had better views from the Crinan Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisclin View Post
    Many years ago a friend and I were set down on Scarba to do just that. Slogged up the hill and pitched camp in the pelting rain. Woken the next morning by a thunderous roar. Poked our heads out - and saw precisely nothing. The thickest fog I've ever come across on the West Coast. I've had better views from the Crinan Hotel.
    :-) we may stay, at least temporarily, in one of the many caves at sea level

Went through on a Nicholson 55. Doddle.......... Swim? Nah. That's brave!

The fear is all based on the old movie 'I know where I'm going' Obviously hyped up for effect ....

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    There is (or at there was) an annual swimming race between Strangford and Portaferry at the entrance to Strangford Lough. Currents there can be up to 8 knots on springs.
    Timing is all. They do it at slack water and - as the tide turns - you can see the slower swimmers start to get pulled out of the direct line across, slowing them down even further.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12