Default Access to King's Quay Creek

Peter Bruce writes about Kings Quay Creek in the September edition of YM. This is a beautiful tidal pool just east of Osborne Bay in the Solent, known to very few sailors (well until his article, anyway). It’s accessible by dinghy on the top half of the tide; you have to anchor a way off owing to the gently shelving shallows off the island.

As he observes, a scaffolding construction has been placed across the upper part of the creek to prevent vessels from entering the pool.

Peter Bruce is right to say that one is entitled to go where the sea level allows: this right of navigation in tidal waters has existed since Magna Carta and it would take a statute to constrain it. None has ever been passed by Parliament. It matters not that the land surrounding the pool is privately owned, nor that it's a Site of Special Scientific Interest, nor that the creek has been proposed as part of a Marine Conservation Zone.

He observes that most dinghies will be able to squeeze past the barrier into the idyllic upper pool. But plenty won’t.

With respect to land-based rights of way, the law permits you to remove enough of an obstruction for you to pass if you can reasonably do so and without going on to land of other ownership. I am not a lawyer, but I’m prepared to bet that the same remedy directly by the citizen is available with respect to the right of tidal navigation. In other words, to remove enough of the scaffolding barrier to pass without obstruction.

Any lawyer in the house like to comment?

Default Re: Access to King's Quay Creek

Interesting. I didn't know it was there, until this posting. I"m off to consult my chart app.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Sailed in there 50 years ago in my little trimaran Susumi. There is a dog leg entrance which
    I worked my way in with my bamboo echo sounder. It was very overgrown and avoided the semi sunken trees going in, Stayed the night and worked my way out in the morning avoiding the sunken iron work coming out.
    It was used in the war by the marines training underwater demolition
    John & Linda Neale

A bit more about King's Quay Creek here: http://www.parkerseal.org.uk/article...kingsquay.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Telstar26 View Post
    A bit more about King's Quay Creek here: http://www.parkerseal.org.uk/article...kingsquay.aspx
    Yes, that’s about when I visited, and it’s before the temporary barrier was put up.

Quote Originally Posted by BelleSerene View Post
    a scaffolding construction has been placed across the upper part of the creek to prevent vessels from entering the pool.
    Does it have planning permission? Check with the local authority?

I keep meaning to go explore that creek. If I get round to it I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Does it have planning permission? Check with the local authority?
    And permission from Crown Estates and the MMO.

Oh and QHM too.

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Oh and QHM too.
    Done that! Waiting for a reply.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun