Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Safe distance to Venezuela/Columbia?

>I would be a MINIMUM of 50 miles North of Testigos and Isle de Margarita. >I MIGHT stop off at Los Roques. It is a wonderful place to gunkhole and recent reports say that Venezuelan customs and immigration present on the scene are being reasonable but that can change. HOWEVER it is close to the mainland and fisherman do make the trip out there. The ABCs are OK so is Columbia.

I agree avoid Venezuela at all costs.

Sadly it would seem that the current situation makes Venezuela a very risky spot to visit. Even a decade ago there were many no-go areas and dire warnings of violent boardings. However we , personally, had no problems even when anchoring in some of the spots with a bad press. I do not think that I would be taking that risk today however.
    BUT Colombia has much to recommend it and a visit to the Rosario Islands is a great consolation. Bonaire in the ABC's is a magical spot especially if you enjoy diving.

From Aug to Dec 2017, under a UK ensign, I sailed - Curacao - Los Monjes (Venezuelan Island) - Cabo de la Vela (Colombia) - Manaure - Riohacha - Rio Buritaca - Gayraca - Bahia Tayana, anchoring each night and sometimes staying a few days. Then Santa Marta where I stayed for a month. Then Rio Valero - Cartagena - Islas Rosarias - Ensenada de Hoyo - Isla Fuerte - Snug Harbour (San Blas Islands), again anchoring a night it more at each location. In my experience Caribbean Colombia was a great place to cruise at that time.

> wonder how many yachts have actually got into trouble during the recent problems in Venezuela? Not rumours but hard statistics.

No yachts go there now is too dangerous we stopped going when the marina manager was killed.

Quote Originally Posted by bjl View Post
    From Aug to Dec 2017, under a UK ensign, I sailed - Curacao - Los Monjes (Venezuelan Island) - Cabo de la Vela (Colombia) - Manaure - Riohacha - Rio Buritaca - Gayraca - Bahia Tayana, anchoring each night and sometimes staying a few days. Then Santa Marta where I stayed for a month. Then Rio Valero - Cartagena - Islas Rosarias - Ensenada de Hoyo - Isla Fuerte - Snug Harbour (San Blas Islands), again anchoring a night it more at each location. In my experience Caribbean Colombia was a great place to cruise at that time.
    It still is. We are there at the moment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12