Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 702
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,925

    Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Could somebody explain how this works please? Does it mean that if you spend 90 days in the EU you must be out of the EU for the following 90 days? Or could it work like this. From Jan through March (90 days) you are in the UK and from Apr through June (90 days) you are on your boat in the Med. On 30th June you fly back to the UK and return to your boat 1 day later. You then spend July through Sept (90 days) on your boat and return to the UK for Oct through Dec (90 days). You have spent 2 periods of 90 days in 180 days in the EU. Does that satisfy the laws?

    I ask this because we would be far more likely to spend the summer months in the Med than the winter months so it would suit us to have 2 consecutive periods of 90 days there

    And what actually happens if you overstay your 90 days? Surely nobody will know until you go through passport control on leaving the EU? Do they arrest you at passport control or are you just banned from returning to the EU and if so for how long?
    I deal with this often for some of our staff.

    It's a rolling 180 day period - no more than 90 days in any given 180 day period. So no, if you tried to enter Schengen the day after your previous 90 day trip your Visa would be invalid.

    Not that this will be an issue for a while as first few Schengen visas are single or double entry and take a while to process, you have to build up the systems confidence in you to get Multi Entry Visas.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On board
    Posts
    2,746

    Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garold View Post
    As far as I understand it means that in any 180 period you can only be in a Schengen country for 90 of the days.

    So, you could do 90 days on, 90 days off. Or every other week for a whole year say.

    But not two periods of 90 days through the summer months with 180 days then outside the zone through winter.

    Garold
    hmm, the way I read it if you entered Schengen on Jan 1st, came home on the 2nd you have 88 days to use before June 30th. So if you depart Schengen on June 30th returning on July 1st you reset the clock and can stay another 90 days - I think this the way Americans etc handle the constraint today
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,925

    Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieW View Post
    hmm, the way I read it if you entered Schengen on Jan 1st, came home on the 2nd you have 88 days to use before June 30th. So if you depart Schengen on June 30th returning on July 1st you reset the clock and can stay another 90 days - I think this the way Americans etc handle the constraint today
    Not correct I'm afraid. It's 90 in any rolling 180 window.

    So you couldn't use those 88 days and add them on to a longer summer trip.

    "The notion of "any", implies the application of a "moving" 180-day reference period, looking backwards at each day of the stay (be it at the entry or at the day of an actual check), into the last 180-day period, in order to verify if the 90 days/180-day requirement continues to be fulfilled. "

    https://ec.europa.eu/assets/home/vis..._manual_en.pdf

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    53,501

    Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

    Quote Originally Posted by st599 View Post
    I deal with this often for some of our staff.

    It's a rolling 180 day period - no more than 90 days in any given 180 day period. So no, if you tried to enter Schengen the day after your previous 90 day trip your Visa would be invalid.

    Not that this will be an issue for a while as first few Schengen visas are single or double entry and take a while to process, you have to build up the systems confidence in you to get Multi Entry Visas.
    Thanks. I thought my suggestion sounded too easy!

    I see that May has made a unilateral offer on EU migrants in the UK today https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8498746.html Does anyone think that is going to encourage the EU to reciprocate in kind and if so in what way?

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    In the Euro zone, not Poundland.
    Posts
    3,384

    Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Thanks. I thought my suggestion sounded too easy!

    I see that May has made a unilateral offer on EU migrants in the UK today https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8498746.html Does anyone think that is going to encourage the EU to reciprocate in kind and if so in what way?
    I would imagine if you can prove you can support yourself Inc health care your host nation will be cool with you.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    550

    Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

    So if I obtain a Carte Sejour for an extended (but not permanent) stay in France, can I also have an additional 90 day stay in another Schengan country without the 90 day obligation to be out of the Shengan zone? I don't seem to be able to find the answer to this anywhere.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Grenoble
    Posts
    29,653

    Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

    Quote Originally Posted by cynthia View Post
    So if I obtain a Carte Sejour for an extended (but not permanent) stay in France, can I also have an additional 90 day stay in another Schengan country without the 90 day obligation to be out of the Shengan zone? I don't seem to be able to find the answer to this anywhere.
    No and No the Carte de Sejour is for residency and by implication that means permanent you need to prove that you have an address and the means of support.
    It is applicable to the country it's issued in, in my case and your example France, other countries have similar residence schemes.
    There was a move to get those resident in EU countries a sort of EU residency I don't know how it is progressing though.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    53,501

    Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    No and No the Carte de Sejour is for residency and by implication that means permanent you need to prove that you have an address and the means of support.
    Does that mean that all you have to do is buy a property in France in your own name? How do you prove means of support? And what does a Carte de Sejour entitle you to in terms of visiting rights and/or anything else?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bricks & mortar: Italy. Boat: Aegean
    Posts
    10,431

    Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

    Modertors: why is this now in The Lounge? It is not idle chit chat over a brandy.
    All epigrams are false

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    550

    Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

    As I understand it the Carte Sejour is not solely for permanent residency, but also for extended stays in excess of 90 days. We had one several years ago, but let it lapse after the initial 5 years as we were told it was no longer necessary. It is finding a solution to allowing us to sail in Greece in the spring months which is problematical! We remain UK residents and spend 183 days in the UK, having no desire to change that status.

Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to