Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast

Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Visa waiver scheme and or electronic visa application or even a reciprocal rights will likely be the order of the day.

I think it is still knocking about in the halls of Brussels but I don't think it has any real chance or support.
    Please correct me if I am wrong but, from my American friends, I thought visas were a National rather than EU issue?

Schengen is a different kettle of fish and is all EU so when/if we leave the EU we will have to meet a countries visa requirement?

In simple terms, for us, if Portugal let’s us have a 6 month visa (no return for 6 months) game on.
    Last edited by nortada; 20-08-18 at 20:31.
    🇵🇹Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

FL 320 In the cruise; have trolls visual; locked on & tracking

Default Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong but, from my American friends, I thought visas were a National rather than EU issue?
    Schengen Visa = EU?
    Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a town surpasses for honest men and bonie lasses.

would Brits with Portuguese Residencia be able to travel freely between Schengen States?

Residencia alone is not sufficient to enter the Schengen area but once inside there are no internal border controls to deal with. In that sense the EU is one single country.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Visa waiver scheme and or electronic visa application or even a reciprocal rights will likely be the order of the day.

I think it is still knocking about in the halls of Brussels but I don't think it has any real chance or support.
    New EU Travel Authorisation Scheme (ETIAS) starts 1 Jan 2021, and will apply to those third countries currently not requiring Schengen Visa, so presumably UK.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release...18-4362_en.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JNKScot View Post
    Schengen Visa = EU?
    That's the point, and has been for a quarter century or so.

(Actually Schengen Visa = Schengen area countries. The latter is EU minus UK, Ireland, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, and Romania, but including the three EEA countries. Notwithstanding that, some individual countries retain different visa arrangements under older bilateral treaties.)
    All epigrams are false

Q: "would Brits with Portuguese Residencia be able to travel freely between Schengen States?"

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Residencia alone is not sufficient to enter the Schengen area but once inside there are no internal border controls to deal with. In that sense the EU is one single country.
    You're right that travel may well be unhindered, but perhaps with 3rd country limits except in the specific country of residence.
    See post #5.
    Last edited by macd; 20-08-18 at 17:20.
    All epigrams are false

[QUOTE=greeny;6521654]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailfree View Post
    I can only echo Notada's comments.

Schengen does not come into it once you get a residency certificate. Turn up at town hall with proof of address, passport and IIRC €12.

What Town hall did you go to? It wasn't that easy for me! Also with residency comes the question of taxation.
    My understanding is that it's simple- at least it was for us.

After agreeing to buy the apartment the owner gave us a 12 mongh rental agreement to give me the status (utility Bill's etc) to register for residency. We turned up at the town hall and got a 5yr residency from Nazare. They only wanted to see fiscal number (NIF) passports and the rental agreement though.

After 2 months when I had the money to purchase I went to a lawyer and they pointed out that I had a 5yr residency granted by the Junta of Nazare (like a town council) and best to have one from the commune of Nazare! All strange to me but effectively that's more a small country council that covers other local towns and villages inc Nazare. Went to a building adjacent to first and again only needed NIF, passport and rental agreement and 5yr residency from Nazare Commune instantly granted.

FYI lawyer checked the property for debts. As debts in Portugal are against a property not the person (like boats in UK). Then turned up at Nazare Notary office where everyone sat around a big table with a big computer screen and Notary checked the title feeds and wrote a property purchase document specific to us , the seller and the property in front of us all.

Could not be more simple and straightforward.

My understanding is that property title in Portugal is rarely any dispute but can be questionable in Spain for a few.

WRT Taxation you must apply for Non Habitual Residency status within 12 months and under dual taxation treaty with UK you can become a tax resident of Portugal. Portugal effectively chooses not to tax you on pension income for 10yrs. Portugal considers you a tax resident if you spend most of the year in Portugal but beware the HMRC need you to also comply with certain very restrictive automatic residency tests in the first 3yrs. I registered with HMRC as a non resident landlord and must declare UK rental income for UK tax.

Its fairly straightforward but understandably the HMRC are wary of people trying to pretend to live in another country to avoid UK tax.

I did get a couple of phone calls on my Portuguese home phone from HMRC. Luckily we were in and not out shopping!

Trust this helps.
    Last edited by Sailfree; 20-08-18 at 18:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    A question which is best ignored in Portugal.
    Disagree - providing you comply with the rules it can be an advantage to be a tax resident of Portugal. See my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Stork_III View Post
    I think you are correct for an actual visa, not sure how it works if you are a third country national who doesn't require a visa, UK after Brexit?. May be the same?

Here is the calculator to go with the link you posted. https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/co...-calculator_en
    The new visa waiver database will monitor it.

Hi Tranona,

I understand currently you are in the UK but I am well aware you are widly travelled so great that you are participating in these discussions.

We have debated the T2L saga at length and both agree that, despite authorities in Portugal and Croatia, occasionally demanding sight of, this form, it has no meaning in the context of VAT on UK boats in the EU.

The only good thing, a T2L is free and easy to obtain from HMRC Salford.

You can pull the form down, print it off and send to Salford and it will come back fully stamped up. One word to the wise, do not send your ship’s to paper to Salford. HMRC do not require any supporting documentation but if you sent it, you will not get it returned!

I have to wiz up to London, but on my return, I will dig out the link for the T2L form and post it on here.
    Now back from London and as promised, the download for a C88/T2L Form and full details on completing it are at: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/lago...els-t1885.html.
    🇵🇹Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast