Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Default Re: Baffled by charter yachts anchoring technique

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    We don't bother with markers or flaking the chain , we have a one meter bit of string and as the 10mm chain comes out Christine measure it one meter at a time , 40 mts take about 5 mins . So we start dropping the anchor some 20 mts before where we want it to set .
    Can't understand why this way of anchoring asnt taken off , we seen to be the only ones useing this technique.
    Brilliant vic:-)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowlyButSurely View Post
    We've been cruising in the Ionian this year and have observed the pigs dinner that most of the charter boats make of anchoring. The technique that is almost universally employed is to select a spot to drop the anchor and start lowering it using an electric windlass. Simultaneously they start reversing across the anchorage at full throttle with the anchor dragging along the bottom. Having reversed most of the way across the anchorage they will then haul the anchor up and repeat the process, often two or more times.

Who on earth is teaching them to drop an anchor like this?
    SlowlyButSurely, this must be the correct technique, I know because a very nice flotilla leader from Sunsail taught me himself!

The flotilla was promised a beach barbie in a remote bay. The offshore wind was strong, and the bottom was pebbles. I struggled to persuade the undersized Delta to get a grip, until Flotilla Leader came over personally to demonstrate to Mr Clueless how we'd been told to do it. Well, not my boat, was it?

Just as the barbie stuff had all been set up, someone said "Don't the yachts look rather far away?" Luckily they'd brought a chase boat with them, for landing the guests, so they rushed us back out. We never did get a barbie.
    Last edited by AndrewB; 09-09-18 at 12:31.

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    I don’t understand why such accuracy is needed... I know how much chain is in the well... I know the distance from the windlass to the bow roller, so I can count out the length as it goes over by simply watching a link... and I also know how long it takes to drop a certain amount... so I can estimate just fine how much we have put down, even by just glancing in the locker...

Drop a bit more than the depth, click into reverse, lay out slowly until I’m comfortable all I need is out... give it some welly to straighten and bed. Job done. I don’t need to lay out exactly 32 meters in 6, I’m happy with around 3/4 of the pile up front.

My anchor is some knock up thing from Bavaria, and I’ve never dragged.

Making anchoring complex by introducing maths and the need to flake and count out exact numbers is counter productive... keep it simple, if you’ve got room lay out some more, dig it in. Job done.
    Accuracy is one of the most important part of setting your anchor and having an non sleepless night .
    One mts too much and your taken more room then needed stopping others from anchoring , one mts too little and you anchor won't set .
    In the begin of each season and again half way through we measure the distain from the bow roller to the water , we do this with a stick so we can get it to the mm ,
    We also at the begin of each season lay all out chain out in the yard and use a fork lift to pull it tight so we know how long it is and if it has stretch ,
    I have read that chain can stretch as much as two mm a link over a season , that's 80 mm extra of your dropping say 40 mts of chain . If you accurately ly worked out your swinging room that could make the different between missing the next boat and hitting it .
    We now also carry and 200 cm tape measure with us and if we not sure one of us will get in the dinghy and take the end on the tape to the near by boat .
    I surprise other don't carry tapes with them .
    Mind you we do get some funny looks .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 09-09-18 at 13:33.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

[QUOTE=Neeves;6541673]
    Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    And have you, seriously, ever tried to flake out chain through an electric windlass?

Jonathan
    @Neeves
    Well I am shocked and surprise with all the stuff you post on anchoring and anchors that you didn't know you could just remove the gypsy and the whole chain would fly into the water .
    What type of seamen are you ?
    Anyone concerning doing this , only advise I have is make sure you have a pot of gel coat filler handle .
    Or wood filler it you have a teak deck , if your deck is steel , no problem a quick rub down and some rust killer will do the job nicely .

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I was thinking exactly the same, Jonathan.

The only place we could flake out chain would be on our white trampoline .... and that sounds like a recipe for a maritime/marital disaster when the Bosun sees her sunbathing spot is covered with mud.

Richard
    Richard when we met some years back , I said to my co skipper , there a man who wouldn't be be bossed about by his wife ,
    Now I read this , her sunbathing spot , what do she think she on , a bloody holiday , come on man , you letting the side down.
    Time you got back into the groove , demand your sun down on time and don't put up with any lips .
    Ok must go now , I have to make sure water temp right for co skipper to wash her hair .

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Richard when we met some years back , I said to my co skipper , there a man who wouldn't be be bossed about by his wife ,
    Now I read this , her sunbathing spot , what do she think she on , a bloody holiday , come on man , you letting the side down.
    Time you got back into the groove , demand your sun down on time and don't put up with any lips .
    Ok must go now , I have to make sure water temp right for co skipper to wash her hair .
    You're spot on there Vic. I've just turned off the starboard engine as The Missus is ready for her shower and I needed to get the water up to the required temperature.

I've learned to judge it that there will be just enough hottie for her but it will run out when I take mine afterwards.

Minimising diesel usage is always my main objective in life!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    ...... just enough hottie [sic] for her but it will run out when I take mine afterwards. ..... Minimising diesel usage is always my main objective in life! .....
    Then share the shower!
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567