Default Selling a boat using a website

Not me.
    A friend wants to sell his sail yacht.
    Does anyone know of some good examples of private boats being sold on their own website.

I'm looking for an example of a website selling a single boat.

My friend is wondering if it is worth setting up a website to sell his old boat.

Default Re: Selling a boat using a website

peeps are unlikely to find it, put it on a relevant boating for sale site.

Facebook far more effective these days. Is it a make that has its own Facebook page? the Lagoon page is alive with listings and really seems to work....

I sold my last boat by creating a website - really simple to do on something like WIX or Square Space. I put it on a URL that matched the boat, something like www.boatmodelforsale. I then created a simple Google Ad Words campaign to cover people searching for the same or comparable models of boat. I sold the boat after about a month at a very good price and with no broker fees. Was all very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I sold my last boat by creating a website - really simple to do on something like WIX or Square Space. I put it on a URL that matched the boat, something like www.boatmodelforsale. I then created a simple Google Ad Words campaign to cover people searching for the same or comparable models of boat. I sold the boat after about a month at a very good price and with no broker fees. Was all very simple.
    You can also make you own site and link to it from other free add boat sites

Then there is good old Gumtree which I have bought 2 boats from but never sold
    Last edited by Bigplumbs; 23-08-18 at 05:55.
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Whilst it didn't directly sell the boat, I kept for a previous boat (and indeed still keep for the current one) a website for my boat. This helped "sell the dream" and also showed honesty in the sale. Prospective buyers saw the advert (both on a brokers site and on the usual internet channels) and when they came to see the boat they had already seen the repairs, maintenance and also the swimming, wakeboarding and picnics and were chatting about them to me. Had two or three interested and it was just a case of who paid the deposit first.

So I would recommend it and I would recommend starting way before you sell the boat to build the history

(link in my signature and its NOT for sale)
    Last edited by mlines; 20-08-18 at 08:17.
    Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

My son set this up but then BCU took the boat I was trying to buy in PX for something & took ours in against that, so never used it. We were going to set up a simple adwords campaign as well.

https://info615044.wixsite.com/absolute41

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Likewise, I’ve done this twice. First time achieved a broker free sale on a £150k closing price. Second time, my Dads AWB, we drummed up, some interest, but needed a broker in the end.

I’ve always done this in Wordpress, with boat relevant custom name, like you “modelforsale.co.uk”. Google adwords, link from main free / low cost listing price.

When I was selling a house in France I had someone do a website where I was able to put loads of photographs, then I advertised the house on ebay with a mention of the website. On eBay you can only put 12 photos.
    I sold the house from my eBay advert.
    If I was selling a boat I would also consider a website. Unfortunately the one I has was "Moonpig" or something which meant that after setting it up you cant change it.