Default Leigh buoy moved

I'm aware that this was reported by Tillergirl in NtM 31, but this move (happened on 23/7) caught us out on returning to the Ray after a few weeks away, and I expect it will cause unexpected anxiety to few more who are returning home after their summer cruise. Essentially, after donkeys years of being treated as a port hand buoy for Hadleigh Ray, it is now very definitely a starboard hand buoy.

Home now, and our freshly updated tablet based NavionicsHD charting still does not show this update.

Default Re: Leigh buoy moved

Thanks. I'll change the annotation to a starboard hand buoy for the Ray. Tillergirl would have first tasted salt water in the Ray!
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

I wondered why it had been moved so far. I assumed that the Ray Sand had extended east. So you are saying that there is plenty of water to the west of the new position. After all these years you'd think they'd say why they were moving it and the effect.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    I wondered why it had been moved so far. I assumed that the Ray Sand had extended east. So you are saying that there is plenty of water to the west of the new position. After all these years you'd think they'd say why they were moving it and the effect.
    Yes, they've moved it to the other side of the channel. Plenty of water? Rather say the best water is to the west. There is an updated .pdf chartlet on the BYC website courtesy of Phil Bostock http://www.benfleetyachtclub.org/

Quote Originally Posted by escapism View Post
    Yes, they've moved it to the other side of the channel. Plenty of water? Rather say the best water is to the west. There is an updated .pdf chartlet on the BYC website courtesy of Phil Bostock http://www.benfleetyachtclub.org/
    It has also been moved on the Navionics web app. User input.

On the BYC website it says "Pass to starboard when entering the Ray". I find that a contradictory way of giving direction. Surely you are passing it to port and leaving it to starboard.
    Last edited by MoodySabre; 21-08-18 at 12:32.
    Not all who wander are lost

I agree that the wording is clumsy at best, but the chartlet clearly shows the new situation.