Default Sliding Hatch Replacement Material

What is the correct plastic (15mm thick clear) to replace washboards and sliding hatch with? and any good supplier recommendations?
    Perspex? Acrylic? etc?

Thanks

Default Re: Sliding Hatch Replacement Material

Perspex (trade name) is acrylic and is the usual material. Polycarbonate is stronger but more prone to scratching.

Acrylic and Perspex are the same thing - the second name is a brand. The alternative is polycarbonate which is stronger and better for a horizontal hatch that will be stood on and either for vertical washboards.

However 15mm is way OTT for the application and not easy to source as well as being very heavy. 10mm is normally the thickest used although 8mm, particularly polycarbonate will be strong enough.

Best source may well be a local signmaker. most will cut, machine and drill to template or sell you raw material to do yourself. Alternatively there are many on line suppliers, most of whom offer a cutting service. Worth shopping around as prices vary a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    However 15mm is way OTT for the application and not easy to source as well as being very heavy. 10mm is normally the thickest used although 8mm, particularly polycarbonate will be strong enough.
    Thanks, just replacing like for like, will see if I can go thinner (depends on fitment) luckily I have my own machine shop in the garage :-)

You have a choice with 15mm acrylic. You can either get 5mm and 10mm laminated together (as I did) which are pretty indestructible and you can reduce costs by using 10mm clear and 5mm tint or use (say) 10mm with spacers down each vertical side for the washboards. Depending on size of washboard if 15mm I would advise having them made in two, or even three pieces for consideration of weight.
    For the hatch if it is going to be stood on at any time would not go below 10 or 12mm thick acrylic.

Donald