Default Ships Portable Radio (Licence)

I was doing a quick bit of research regarding the rules around handhelds (HH). I understand that you register through the Ofcom site and that there is a category to enable you to register a HH in itself (rather than adding a HH to an existing ships licence. You are then given a call-sign and a T number.

1st question. As I'm likely to be using the radio (in the first instance) when I'm in a kayak or dingy (which don't have vessel names), how would you give your name when initiating a call? Would you use the callsign or something else.

2nd question. If/when I purchase my boat can you transfer the license from being portable to being on the ship's licence.

I was planning to see if there were any bargains at SIBS (no sarky answers to that one please )

Default Re: Ships Portable Radio (Licence)

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    1st question. As I'm likely to be using the radio (in the first instance) when I'm in a kayak or dingy (which don't have vessel names), how would you give your name when initiating a call? Would you use the callsign or something else.
    I don't think it matters in practice - the people you talk to just want a consistent easily-understood word or brief phrase. When I've used handhelds in unnamed boats I've just made something up - for example "Greyrib" (it was a grey RIB) and "Supacat" (the make of boat and written on the side).

I could imagine something like "Wayfarer Two-Three" if you sailed a Wayfarer whose sail-number ended with the digits 23, for example.

Wouldn't hurt to have the callsign and/or T-number to hand (I put some dymo tape on the back of the handheld itself once upon a time) just in case the Coastguard want something more positive, but you're unlikely to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    2nd question. If/when I purchase my boat can you transfer the license from being portable to being on the ship's licence.
    Not really transfer the license as such, but if you wanted to you could cancel the Ship Portable license and add one VHF Handheld to the equipment section of the Ship Station license. Personally I wouldn't bother; keeping the handheld on its own license means you can use it wherever (including on your boat). Putting it on the yacht's license would have been beneficial when licenses cost money and needed to be renewed, but that's not the case any more.

Pete

One subtlety on point 2, if you add the handheld to Ship's Licence (ie the one attached to the boat) it's still demonstrably valid when you venture (with the boat) out of UK waters. The Ships Portable licence seems not to be, or that at least is as far as I could get with that topic.
    Last edited by Scala; 21-08-18 at 16:26.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Thank you both

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I don't think it matters in practice - the people you talk to just want a consistent easily-understood word or brief phrase. When I've used handhelds in unnamed boats I've just made something up - for example "Greyrib" (it was a grey RIB) and "Supacat" (the make of boat and written on the side).
    This, in practice for me. 'Yellow Kayak' in my Kayak. BOATNAME-mobile if someone's using it to talk to me on my boat. A common usage is to keep tabs on my 6yo daughter when she visits the nearby heads and then all protocol goes out of the window, we refer to each other as 'Daddy' and her name.

I've often wondered what callsign I *should* be using (but not enough to google it!).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    This, in practice for me. 'Yellow Kayak' in my Kayak. BOATNAME-mobile if someone's using it to talk to me on my boat. A common usage is to keep tabs on my 6yo daughter when she visits the nearby heads and then all protocol goes out of the window, we refer to each other as 'Daddy' and her name.

I've often wondered what callsign I *should* be using (but not enough to google it!).
    Same approach with our HH. Our DSC one has a T licence and always went in kayak / Dinghy and is basically always with us when nearby.

As to the heads monitoring callsigns - not convinced that that is technically legal on a Marine VHF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    As to the heads monitoring callsigns - not convinced that that is technically legal on a Marine VHF!!!
    I've always assumed it wasn't, but I have it covered: If we get caught I will turn state evidence against my daughter in exchange for immunity from prosecution for myself.