Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Default Re: Petition: Change the laws and regulations on our waterways

Quote Originally Posted by seaangler23 View Post
    I completely agree, I’ve always had boats and only got any qualifications a couple of years ago as I felt I should have something. I held your opinion until speaking to a RYA instructor/inshore lifeboat helm/outdoor instructor who comes sailing with us and gets up to all sorts of stupidity on boats but after chatting to him and witnessing some absolute crackers this summer I have to agree with him, unfortunately a quick mandatory course aimed at certain types of craft would likely escalate into something beyond that impeding the freedom we have. How’s the sailing courses you did 60yrs ago because you had the common sense to do to yourself before heading out different to being told you need to do a small course before jumping in anything you like, the folk who usually don’t are the problem, a guy who I’ve had to save twice in a 48ft princess is my reason, he couldn’t even work the radio if he needed to
    I accept that point. I have my RYA VHF certificate, but only because the law requires me to have a certificate to operate it. Of course, there is no legal requirement to have a VHF radio.
    I am not against people having the option of instruction, and as in many cases boaters have done so - but legislation is the thin end (beginning?) of a very large wedge.
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    5751.42' N 529.44' W

Although I sympathise with the family of the young lady who died, I do think that alcohol and testosterone were more the reason for her death than being on a boat, so I don't believe that increased regulation will help and therefore will not support this petition.
    I knew it was time to suspend the sailing lesson when the forked lightning hit the Loch surface!!

I certainly wouldn't ever sign that petition; boating is one of the last freedoms in our society and it should remain so. We individually take responsibility for our own, and our friends', safety. Draconian rules wouldn't have prevented the 2015 death on the Thames, drunken people tend to take little notice of rules.

+1

I guess that's a resounding 'no' then. There are laws covering dangerous behaviour and manslaughter to which boaters are subject as is everybody else.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678