Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Turkey

With the Turkish economy in free fall ,are people moving back there to live aboard
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

Default Re: Turkey

We wintered in Turkey on our anchor from 2001 to 2011. The country and people are fantastic.
    Whilst we wintered the last years we noticed a chance in attitude the Turks had for us liveaboards.
    In the “early” days we ware very welcome, after all we spent all our living costs in Turkey.
    Later, the big spender east block charterers came, and the Turks liked them a lot. I remember Memet who was given a 50 $ tip for a few beers ( and Vodka ) All the sudden we ware second hand sailors.
    Not that it mattered, we ware self sufficient. The big supermarkets did not discriminate.
    There was also a change in attitude by the government officials. Coast guard, passport police ( The worst ) even the doctor ( Health department ) wanted money for a stamp. You could avoid the bacschisch by hiring an agent who then paid the bacschisch for you. For a big fee.

Many may have changed in the 7 years we left Turkey. It just amazes me that where in the past half of all sailing treads had Turkey as a subject, now..... zero. ( This one is the exception )
    One other remark, the last winters ware a pain because half of the internet sites ware censored. I hear it is even worse now.

We are not going back, even if the Lira falls even further. Money is not that important.

It's worth abserving that although daily life is conducted mostly in T£, marina bills are generally paid in euros, which obviously haven't been impacted by the plunge in exchange rates.
    All epigrams are false

We've just been back for a fortnight, including the days when the lira was in free fall. Most of the Turks were as welcoming as ever, the cost of eating out remains low, and no signs - yet? - of shortages of imported goods. Tourism seems to be much improved over the last two years which have been quiet.
    On the negative side, police roadblocks are springing up in odd places, and the currency devaluation must work through to even higher inflation soon.

Of course the sun shone all day every day and the sea was wonderful. We will return next month!

In the event of a Brexit no-deal, I think the status of cruising in Turkey May become more important to British cruisers who are located in the eastern Med.

In an ideal world, if we are restricted to 90 days in the EU, it would be handy to spend half the summer in Turkey and the other half in say Greece.

But six months is a long time. By next Easter, we could have a leaving agreement with the EU that keeps some form of free movement, but also, Turkey could have lurched further to the right and become unstable.

The quality of the cruising ground is the one thing that is unlikely to change.

Garold

Garold, I really hope you are right regarding an agreement, we’ve been waiting 20 years to go off cruising the med, we’ve just put a deposit on a boat and it would be so disappointing to have a 90 day restriction on some of the places we love.

I’m sure Turkey is lovely, I’ve seen the coastline from the air many times ar work over the years, but it has slipped further down our list over the last few years.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Garold View Post
    In the event of a Brexit no-deal, I think the status of cruising in Turkey May become more important to British cruisers who are located in the eastern Med.

In an ideal world, if we are restricted to 90 days in the EU, it would be handy to spend half the summer in Turkey and the other half in say Greece.

But six months is a long time. By next Easter, we could have a leaving agreement with the EU that keeps some form of free movement, but also, Turkey could have lurched further to the right and become unstable.

The quality of the cruising ground is the one thing that is unlikely to change.

Garold
    Ever considered The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TNRC) as an alternative destination?

The TNRC is outside the EU and independent from mainland Turkey. If Portugal became untenable post Brexit we have considered relocating.

With all the debates over the Northern/Southern Border, interesting there is no problem passing through the TNRC/Southern Cyprus Border?

We have been going to both the north and south for a number of years.

Possibly this post should be in the post Brexit thread?
    Last edited by nortada; 23-08-18 at 22:03.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

The Turkish economy is in free fall, or rather under the control of ill equipped and poorly educated, unelected ministers, appointed by an even more poorly educated, Islamist president! The future does not bode well for the country. As someone previously said, the marinas and yacht industry use euros as their currency, arguably this might be considered protectionist, but more realistically, this is outright profiteering. The marinas charge customers 5 euros (approx 35 TL) for 1 tonne of water. The cost to them is less than 75 Kurus. I am a bit tired, but that is about a 4,500 % markup! It is a similar case with electricity. Whilst it may be a non event for foreigners, it is killing many locals, even with interest rates at 19% , without an income in dollars, euros or sterling it is a from outlook for the nationals here!

Quote Originally Posted by satsuma View Post
    The Turkish economy is in free fall, or rather under the control of ill equipped and poorly educated, unelected ministers, appointed by an even more poorly educated, Islamist president! The future does not bode well for the country. As someone previously said, the marinas and yacht industry use euros as their currency, arguably this might be considered protectionist, but more realistically, this is outright profiteering. The marinas charge customers 5 euros (approx 35 TL) for 1 tonne of water. The cost to them is less than 75 Kurus. I am a bit tired, but that is about a 4,500 % markup! It is a similar case with electricity. Whilst it may be a non event for foreigners, it is killing many locals, even with interest rates at 19% , without an income in dollars, euros or sterling it is a from outlook for the nationals here!
    If I felt like that about Turkey I wouldn’t want to stay here but as the song says there’s no place else on earth I’d rather be.

I really don't understand where feelings come into it. I don't believe anything I have written here is incorrect. The new political system here in turkey allows the president to place unelected people in ministerial positions, to the point, his son in law is now the minister of finance and treasury! Look how well that is going! El presidente himself, never graduated from university, which is a requirement for holding the post, he is also an active member of the Muslim brotherhood, and promotes their agenda, above turkey's.
    Setur marinas charge 5 euros per cubic metre of water, at their own cost of under 75 Kurus, which is a margin exceeding 4,500%. The ordinary Turkish people, are the one's suffering and struggling in this climate, with rising inflation. Is there something that I missed? Anything unclear or misleading?
    Not sure quite where feelings affect these issues, or why I would leave my own country because of them?
    But I do understand why many parasites might enjoy the current climate, and take advantage of the financial conditions, and destabilised exchange rates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast